Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anothergirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been a fan of Jeff for a little while now, but I have always been too scared to post anything on here because I'm really lame and don't know what to say, although I'm sure everybody here has a lovely big tolerant heart...I'm not a lurker yet because I only joined just now but think I'm in danger of becoming one so here goes...
I'm 19, live in Bristol (unfortunately: Jeff seems to be missing us out this time round...) and am an English Literature student. I also volunteer at the cube cinema where Jeff once played, and if you're ever in Bristol that is definitely somewhere to check out - www.cubecinema.com. I don't have a myspace or anything because its too embarrassing, but I'd really like to make some Jeff Lewis fan friends, so add me to your msn, send me an email etc.
I'm into Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan, Movietone, Joy Division, Velvet Underground, Cat Power, Martha Wainwright, Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen, Television, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Hem, Josephine Foster, Magik Markers, Tom Waits, Madonna... I also like books quite a lot.
Lets get chatting - looking forward to talking to you all.
Polly
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello anothergirl and welcome, nice post you made to introduce yourself, don't be afraid to post here, we are all nice (i guess).
If you want to make friends who like Jeff Lewis i guess you're at the right place !
ema

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi polly and welcome on board! Smile
don't worry, we don't bite Wink......you seem to be a very interesting person, nice post! english litterature..mmm.....i hope you'll like this place!
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Polly nice to hear from you, never be afraid to post. I was a bit like that at first because I didn't think I had anything important to say so I'd just post a few tabs or whatever but we're all friends here so feel free to jump in and chat about anything

Dav and Ema (above) are both French so they are no doubt sweating theat your gonna be correcting their appalling english! (just kidding guys Rolling Eyes )

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
jack fe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there. I thought I would just use this thread insted of starting a new one just for me.
I'm a relatively new Jeff and Jack fan, but they have already completely changed how I see music. My names Nic, I live on the south coast of England and music is the biggest thing in my life. I've been into some New York anti-folk like Moldy Peaches and Kimya Dawson and Adam Green (not strictly anti-folk currently but you know...). I hate boring, manufactured, predictable, samey music. It makes me angry. In February this year, I went to see The Cribs with Giant Drag (two of my favourate bands) in Brighton. I'd heard the name Jeff Lewis, but wasn't prepared for what I saw. Within the first song I was completly capivated by him and fell in love with his music. When he got the projector out for Champion Jim, I knew I had found one of the most perfect artists ever. Straight after the show, I met and hugged Jeff and Jack bought 'It's the one's that have cracked...' (something I don't usually do from the strength of a half hour set) and have constantly listened to it on repeat.
Sorry, I've waffled on, It's just really nice to finally find somewhere I can waffle on about Jeff. I'll look forward to hearing the live boots you have on here, thanks in advance.
Sooooo... hi.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Welcome Jack Fe, i feel the same way about music that you do, i like it slanted.....
when i think about it, i never met someone that listened to Jeffrey Lewis music and didn't liked it.
Anyway welcome and enjoy your stay !
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Another Nic from the south of England? Welcome to the board, you deffinately seem to have your head screwed on about music. we probably all come from a similar place music wise.

You'll love the live downloads. there are a few vids of various Jeff stuff kicking about on here to well worth checking out

And feel free free to waffle on as much as you want to about Jeff and Jack, and Dave to if you like Laughing
we do !

grampish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello new people !
dont be scared... this board is something good !
leave your heavy hearts behind and join in !
Rolling Eyes
anothergirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your friendly replies, and hi to fellow newbie nic! If this board isn't an excuse to ramble on about how much we all love Jeff Lewis then nothing is... I first got into the music a couple of years ago when i was searching through my ex-boyfriend's CD collection and came across The Last Time I did Acid, and thought the cover was cool, and wasn't really expecting it to be much good but I put it on and I thought it was the best thing I'd heard for ages, and I fell totally in love with Jeff (and his music...) and it kind of rejuvenated my faith in modern music...I still have the CD.
Hope everyone's having a nice weekend... mine's been a little weird but quite nice too.
Polly
chocabloc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hullo another girl. cube cinema eh? were you working when richard james was playing a couple of weeks back? rubbish wasn't he. I was one of the guys he shouted at halfway through for talking during his songs. by curious coincidence, it was the last (and first) time i did acid. and, yes, i did go insane.
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intriegued by your wierd weekend another girl?

anothergirl

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, I haven't been on here for ages... sorry. Chocabloc: I wasn't working for Richard James, if I'm not mistaken, which I might be, I was away at the time, but if it sucked then I guess I didn't miss much anyway. Do you live in Bristol? Go to the Cube much? I guess if you're going to do acid and go insane then one of the best places I can think of to do it is the cube, and one of the best circumstances I can think of is a bad gig... I saw the young people at the cube last night and was a little underwhelmed, but am looking forward to lots of cool stuff coming up...
Will: I can now not remember why that weekend was weird, I'm sure it was though...lots of things have been weird lately due to my longterm boyfriend/ "future husband" breaking up with me, and just trying to cope with that in various ways. if I said that the weekend was nice, it probably means I slept with someone else as part of my attempts to "move on"... Anyway, this is turning into a really long boring post that nobody's going to be interested in. thanks for continuing to reply to this thread, and I may even try to contribute to some other peoples....
love,
Polly
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwwww, sorry to hear that Polly Sad
Life can suck sometimes.
I wonder is this Richard James you talk about is Richard D james, from Aphex Twin ? Because i so want to see him perform someday.
anothergirl

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympathy appreciated Dav...
No, I don't think it was the same one (unfortunately its a fairly common name I suppose). This one is "the other half of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's feverishly creative songwriting hub". I don't know much about him, but I guess Chocabloc might know more. Ah, I haven't listened to Aphex Twin in a long time, but I might put some on now...
chocabloc

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas, it wasn't richard ' aphex twin' james, but a member of gorkys with a huge body and a disproportionately small head. who played meadering guitar music, then shouted at us for talking during it. i would have stayed quiet for euros! i think he alienated most of the audience when he picked on us. another girl, I am in bristol now and again, i will be a contestant on brainteaser, channel 5 12.30 pm, on friday. will try to give jeffrey lewis a mention if possible