$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Set Lists May 2023 UK Tour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Set Lists May 2023 UK Tour Reply with quote

Southside Theatre, Reading 06/05/23
(Are You Listening Festival)

You’re Invited
Arrow
Hangover of the Heart (New - country song)
No LSD Tonight
The French Revolution (Low Budget Video)
What I Love Most in England
Where is the Machine 
Ghoster busters (New)
Sad Screaming Old Man
The History of Communism Part #7: Cuba (Low Budget Video) 
Scowling Crackhead Ian 
Have a Baby
High Voltage (AC/DC Cover)
Cannibal Monkeys (Low Budget Video)

No encore due to festival time slot restrictions

This was the first of three Jeffrey Lewis shows I’m going to in the coming days. Will look to share the set lists for the others too. Nice venue with some good acts on before Jeff. Managed to get the last fast train back to the city which was a bonus.

Last edited by ELLIOT on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I’m glad you had a good time and heard all those great songs. Hope the other ones are as good. I ended up misjudging how much traffic there would be so got to my gig early. It worked out in the end as it meant me and Jeff could have a bit of a natter for the first time since the pandemic and the bands were on pretty sharpish, I was back early too for a gig night. Looking forward to your set lists and news as you go.
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oslo (in Hackney), London (07/05/23)

20 Dollar Wine (New track performed solo)
Springtime
Do What Comes Natural (New)
Oh No Fuck That Hurts (New)
Cannibal Monkeys (Low Budget Video)
East River
Good Things (Jeff mentioned at the Bristol gig last year this was written in response to a Diane Cluck request to write a positive song)
You’re Invited
Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror
Except For the Fact That it Isn’t
Stoned & Starving (Excellent Parquet Courts cover)
Complete History of Communism Part 7: Cuba (Low Budget Video)
It’s Just Fun (New track performed solo)
Don’t Get Upset
Water Moving Water Leaking 
Walls (Fun In The Oven) (Crass cover)
High Voltage (AC/DC cover)
Closed Case (New - Found a live recording here from 2019 https://youtu.be/7ZQkaF498go )

Encore (all Jeff solo)
Star Wars (Low Budget Video)
Protect Our Federal Reserve  
Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane (Audience request which ended with an extended outro on the meaning(lessness) of life) 

Jeff gigs in London are always social occasions since I know a lot of people who go. Discovered tonight that a newer friend had also been at The Water Rats gig twenty years ago where Jeff finished his set outside on the street after hitting the curfew!

Should mention Cosmic Something were a fun support act.

Since it’s a bank holiday in the UK for the Coronation (so have the day off work) on the train to Ramsgate for a trip to the sea side and to see another unique set tonight.
paulofromthebloc

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Reading and London too. Both were incredible.
I had originally planned to get the train straight back to London after the Reading show, but instead booked Easyhotel in Reading. This enabled me to quickly powerwalk across Reading and watch the excellent 'Panic Shack'. I then saw some random band in St Laurence Church via an Irish social club. 14 hours of drinking and watching bands, I was exhausted but still delighted to watch Jeffrey Lewis again in Hackney the next day!
Next concert will be Rochester, but only if the train strikes get called off (solidarity to the striking rail workers though x).
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it’s annoying the train strikes are on Saturday. Seems you can get to Rochester on the one slow train an hour from London but can’t make it back since the service stops late afternoon. Sadly there were also train strikes during Jeff’s last UK tour.

Last edited by ELLIOT on Thu May 11, 2023 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where Else, Margate (08/05/23)

Movie Date (New)
Whose Soul Is This (And Why Is It Mine)? (New with great violin part)
Outta Town 
Roll Bus Roll (with extended outro)
Champion Jim (Low Budget Video)
Moving
Don’t Let The Record Label Take You Out For Lunch
In Certain Orders
Relaxation (New with extended psychedelic outro)
The Story Of Chile (Low Budget Video)
Time Trades
My Girlfriend Doesn’t Worry
Big A Little A (Crass Cover)
I Wanna Do Something Illegal With Amy Rose Spiegel (On 2019 Tapes)
Depression! Despair!
Have A Baby
Cult Boyfriend

Encore (Jeff solo)
The Great Gatsby (Low Budget Video)
Tylenol PM (New)
What I Love Most About England (Is The Food!)

I’ve not been to Margate for several years so revisited the caves, shell grotto and galleries. Gig was in the large basement of a bar in the shopping district which got pretty hot. Another great show.

Quirky support was the Starfish Men with their songs from the perspective of sea creatures and fish.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the set lists and reports on the experience of being at the venue and the travel situations - this is so cool for me to be aware of from the perspective of somebody at the gigs!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for coming Jeff and band! I hope you all got home safe and the uk was kind to you. I guess you must like playing at the Welsh clwb as you have done so often on the recent tours but it’s a classic venue, I was dancing there at indie night 22 years ago and still visit. So many places have closed but that one still exists so they must do something right. Get yourself some rest and recuperation after all that madness! X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me like the clwb is sort of the only place to play in Cardiff? I've also played at the Half Moon across the street there, but I think it was maybe too small? I don't quite remember. Are there other similar small rock clubs in Cardiff? Cardiff is an important city for me, but it's pretty much always been at the same place, I don't know what else there is! It can be hard to find a music venue about 200-capacity, most places are either too big for me (500-1500 size, for "real" bands), or too small for me (50-150, like pubs and cafes, but can be fine sometimes, especially for playing solo, where I don't need to make as much money to pay band members etc).
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of places to play in cardiff but clwb is the best one for your needs. There’s a good list here https://creativecardiff.org.uk/performance-spaces for any future needs you might have though. Just let me know if you need any help and I can make phone calls locally and see what they have. May I ask why cardiff is important to you? Except that you get to meet up with me of course! Sorry for being nosy if not.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list, I'll check it out!
Is it surprising that Cardiff is an important city for me to play? I just figured it's one of the best, biggest, most important cities on any band's UK tour... along with Manchester, London, Leeds, Brighton, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol, Birmingham... what else is there of that stature? I'm probably forgetting a couple cities, but it seems to me that all the other UK cities that I play are the somewhat smaller ones, Leicester, Hull, Oxford, Warrington, Liverpool, Northampton, Derby, Margate, Aberdeen, Cambridge, Hebden Bridge, Sheffield, Exeter, Coventry, Norwich, there are many others, there's so many places to play shows in the UK! But the list of the "main" cities would definitely include Cardiff, I would think!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for thinking of us every tour. I don’t know how much you get to see of it but like anywhere it’s got it’s posh bits and dodgy bits. It is very green for a capital city and relatively safe. Saying that I am in the process of moving to an outer village if it all works out. Plenty of room for the band to stay in the new house if you ever needed it.
I am friends with someone who goes round the uk with punk bands from the USA kind of managing the unmanageable, making sure they are where they should be, providing emotional support and all that, and he said the uk is not very inviting to bands from abroad in terms of visas and accessibility which I think is a big shame since we are a nation of music and should be encouraging it. Not sure if this is your experience but if it is I’m really sorry on behalf of this place.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, I've always found the UK to be the most inviting place! Since I first played a couple small London shows in 2001, it seemed like people really liked what I did and wanted to hear more, this has been such a blessing for me! (excuse the cheesy phrase!) It has made it very easy to book UK tours too, as the clubs actually write to ME asking me to play, sometimes, and this is really different from the rest of the world where I have to put so much effort into trying to convince places to book me! I don't know what kind of reception and treatment those punk bands get elsewhere, but for me I feel quite warmly received in the UK. Tho it's true i have to get work visas to enter the country it's not super-difficult or super-expensive (I think the USA is much worse for that stuff!).
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that’s a relief, I’m happy to hear we have been good to you. Getting asked to play is surely better than asking and I’m glad to hear our visa system isn’t too bad. In that case more of my favourite American bands should come and play more often! I always just assume everything is a nightmare here but that’s just my natural cynicism at least in your experience. It’s a shame you’re not still touring now as we are experiencing some beautiful weather. Hopefully it’s like that at home too. The uk is so much more beautiful on a sunny day! I sit in my garden reading and watching the birds, so nice.
paulofromthebloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELLIOT wrote:
Yeah it’s annoying the train strikes are on Saturday. Seems you can get to Rochester on the one slow train an hour from London but can’t make it back since the service stops late afternoon. Sadly there were also train strikes during Jeff’s last UK tour.

Yes sadly that is what happened. Missed it. But I've seen Jeffrey Lewis 20+ times so can't complain on missing one!