$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Manhattan ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Manhattan ? Reply with quote

I thought I was experiencing the Mandela effect because I cannot find my digital copy of Manhattan anywhere on my hard drive and it includes the 2 bonus tracks (England/Birds). Could someone possibly DM me a link?

Also I noticed that Manhattan is no longer on Spotify, Bandcamp or even on Jeff's Discography page on his site....does this album really exist or was it just my imagination?

*Twilight Zone theme music plays*....

Any help would be much appreciated!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I saw this message and I was like "whaaaa??"

I took a look at my website discography and I do see Manhattan still there:

https://thejeffreylewissite.com/music/discography/

And I see Manhattan on Spotify here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2OftZbwAIM9dLC2z0X5EMI?si=KyE7zVVgShuTS2G7AdRQoQ

Manhattan has never been on my Bandcamp because it's still under contract to Rough Trade, until Oct 2022 I think, so I'll probably put it on my Bandcamp later this year (unless some new rights-extention deal gets negotiated by Rough Trade maybe).

But as for mysteries of stuff not being able to be found on your hard drive, I just don't know!
I've been worried recently that technology might be moving beyond the era of the Mp3 and Aiff etc, because I have so much music on my laptop in my iTunes, stuff that I bought/downloaded, or pulled in from CDs, tons of stuff that I love. But the tech-world is really sort of anti-file nowadays and pro-cloud/streaming. I still love using my iPod nano, loading it up with albums or audiobooks or songs, from my iTunes, but I need to be able to use the USB cable to connect the old ipod to the laptop... They don't make iPods anymore, or the iPod cable, or even the USB ports. So when my current gear eventually starts to get so old that it breaks down, I just hope I can keep using the wealth of stuff that I have in my iTunes library. I understand the appeal of cloud-based listening, but I have so much weird rare stuff that I don't think would ever be findable on Soundcloud/Spotify/streaming/etc... I'd hate to lose access to this music!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see. I was hoping my brought on issue day copy was some kind of rare recording now! Glad it is out there for the masses more though! X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you copy IS still rare, because all of the elaborate art and fold-out packaging that I created for the Manhattan album (and many of the other "official" albums) is, of course, impossible to see if you only access the album from streaming. And, furthermore, the record labels have let the CDs/LPs go totally out of print! So all that artwork and packaging design stuff that I did is just lost to time... except for the people who already own those packages! Until they might get reprinted someday. But with the way the whole music industry is really moving away from physical packaging, these things might never get reprinted? Who knows. Nobody thought cassettes would ever get reprinted and cassettes made a hip comeback in recent years. So anything's possible!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes music rolls around, as the LPs song goes, vinyl has its day and came back, then tape, what next, the mini disc?
I’m so glad I have the actual records, the art work is worth owning, even more so now I know they may be difficult to replace, although it will be a shame if any of them get damaged and need replacing at some point.