$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

The Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band - Both Ways

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: The Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band - Both Ways Reply with quote

A new/old album from The Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band called Both Ways has just been released.

Its available as a digital download here : https://jeffreylewis.bandcamp.com/album/the-jeffrey-lewis-peter-stampfel-band-both-ways-the-great-lost-2017-double-album

There's a photo of a physical album, but its unclear if its been released in physical form yet.

I'd prefer a physical release, so hoping to buy a copy when Jeff is next on tour here in the UK...

@Jeff - any plans for a CD or LP release? Will these be available from your webstore?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the exact same thing about the physical copy! I will probably buy the digital but would rather it was a real thing if possible. Hope it sells well Jeff and Peter!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys! The physical copy is just a joke, the same thing I did with the two "tapes" I released on Bandcamp last year. The description on Bandcamp says:

The Jeffrey Lewis & Peter Stampfel Band
"Both Ways" - the great, lost 2017 double-LP!
The recordings for this Stampfel/Lewis magnum opus were wrapped up way back in 2018 but remained in a top secret vault.
Now, like that Wu-Tang Clan album which only exists as one physical copy (you know, the one that sold for $2 million in 2015) this is a one-copy-in-the-world double-vinyl gatefold LP, it's on 10-zillion-karat gold-plated vinyl (as can be obviously seen in the pix here), and just to top the Wu's world record price, we are selling this one-of-a-kind double LP for $2 million and ONE dollars.
However, since $2,000,001.00 might be a little pricey for you, as a special deal for the hoi polloi we now offer the entire double LP as a download for a more affordable price.
HEAR! Perhaps the final full-voiced recordings of the great Peter Stampfel before his pipes were diminished by dysphonia.
HEAR! The Lewis/Stampfel Band live favorites "Black Leather Swamp Nazi" and "Cajun Polka" and others which were such hits on our tours of 2013 and 2015!
HEAR! Our audacious acoustic attempt at Marquee Moon, and other such hubris!
HEAR! Many other and sundry sonic gems herein! Four sides of 10-zillion-karat gold!
Download comes with full liner notes PDF.

released August 26, 2021

Peter Stampfel: fiddle, banjo, vocals
Jeffrey Lewis: guitar & F/X, piano, melodica, harmonica, vocals
Mem Pahl: bass, vocals
Brent Cole: drums, vocals
Heather Wagner: drums, vocals
Spencer Chakedis: mandolin, 12-string guitar, vocals
Rick Snell: acoustic guitar, mandolin
Julie LaMendola, saw, vocals
Leslie Graves: vocals
Rebecca Tilles: vocals
Rachel Swaner: accordion on Cajun Polka, vocals
Steve Espinola: additional Hammond organ on Going to See the King

Recorded by Brian Speaker at SpeakerSonic Studios, Brooklyn NY.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Also, like the two "tapes" from last year, it's just too expensive and cumbersome to release physical CDs/LPs/tapes at this time, my apartment is full of CDs/LPs/comix that are only selling very slowly, because with no gigs or tours there is much less opportunity for me to reach people and connect to people who might want to buy things. I have found ways to have success during the pandemic with my mail-order stuff from my apartment, like the shirts and posters and the Fuff Collection of comic books, but almost nobody is buying CDs from the mailorder so it seems like a bad time to spend money to make more and more CDs.... And, for making LPs, the time to manufacture LPs is very slow... It takes about 8 months! I am currently doing an LP project that I will announce soon, but it has been at the manufacturing plant for 3 months and they say it will still be another 5 months before it is ready! That is very disappointing to me, because it means I won't be able to start selling them until 2022 maybe... But even without the delay, it is still a problem to be continuing to manufacture more and more things because my apartment is just filling up with all of these boxes! The new comic books I made last year (Fuff #12 and Key West) and the new comic book I am printing soon (Statics #1) and the recent reprints I had to make of Fuff #2, #3, and #9, each time I print comics I have to make at least 2,000 copies, usually I make 3,000 copies, so my apartment is just bursting with comic books, and still no gigs to sell them at! And when I get the new batches of LPs from the pressing plant in 5 months it will also be a huge amount of boxes in my apartment... And still with no gigs or tours to sell them! I am trying to work out some deals with people who can distribute some of this stuff but I'm not sure it will work.
So, really, a digital-only release on Bandcamp seems like the smartest thing I can do, every time I have something like that to release... because the physical manufacturing is getting so expensive, and my apartment is just filling up with things!
I really, really want touring to come back! But it still seems impossible. Jonathan Richman and Will Oldham just announced they are canceling their upcoming tour dates... It's really a problem, for people like me. All I can do is make new things... but then I can't even MAKE the things that I make, because my apartment has no room to hold more boxes! So... I will just continue to put things online and see how it goes... There's not much else to do! But I have some other ideas too.
Oh yeah, the other problem with making physical copies of the Jeffrey Lewis/Peter Stampfel double-album is that it's impossible to tour with Peter even if there's no pandemic, he is really too old and his voice is really gone, so it would not be possible to sell the albums on a Stampfel/Lewis tour the way we did in 2011 and 2013... So I don't really know what to do about that. But I didn't want these 2017 recordings to sit unheard forever! So... Bandcamp seemed like the best idea at the moment.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff, I will buy the digital copy then, sorry I hadn’t got around to reading that about the gold vinyl so was in the dark. It is better for the environment after all.
It’s a shame we are not local to each other and I could take on some of the boxes for you. Really hope to see you all touring again soon, maybe then you’ll get your house back.
I booked the theatre for March so that may be my next outing unless something comes up in the meantime. It’s been so long. Grabbed the front row seats because why not?!
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I understand your predicament. I'll go for a digital download for the time being. I see that it comes with a PDF to accompany the download.

Did you prepare any artwork for the double album? (I expect I'll find out in the PDF when I buy it...)
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit of a mixed picture about gigs and touring. Last week I went to my first gig in about 18 months. Stereolab played near me, just a small venue as a rehearsal for headlining a festival. It was really good evening.
On the other hand, I've just received a cancellation notification to a Brendon Benson UK tour planned for next February.
Maybe its the international tours that are going to be affected.
Jeff - maybe you should consider a solo tour in the short term? It might be easier with logistics and lower risk.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been considering something like that... I was even thinking, maybe I shouldn't even "plan" a tour, I could just go places, solo, and put word out on social media like "hey, I'll be in the area of such-and-such for a couple days, if anybody is willing to host a little living room show or backyard show let me know!" And that way i could maybe just run around playing little unplugged shows without having to deal with booking, organizing, canceling, promoting, etc. I wonder if other people are doing things like that, while club gigs are still in danger of getting cancelled or postponed.
But if a couple months passes, and it seems like club gigs are happening without problems, then it could seem okay to start trying to put together some proper appearances somewhere. I think it really seems pretty okay, or maybe as okay as it's likely to get. Time will tell...?
dazmann

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wave Pictures have announced a concert near me in just 10 days time. It used to be the case that I'd have to book tickets and organize gigs months in advance. Every cloud has a silver lining, eh?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that? I guess things are happening... that's great!
dazmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concert was in Bedford about 30miles north of London. I'm not sure the last-minute organization was a success as it was far from a capacity audience, but that might just be an indication of peoples' reluctance to attend live events.
The show was very relaxed with lots of jokes and chat in-between songs. It seemed funny at the time, but it was a bit disappointing when the end arrived and they hadn't played the songs I hoped they'd play. They could've fitted in a few more into the time on stage rather than joking around.
dazmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to the Both Ways album. Its good to hear recordings of the songs I recall hearing live.
Its a shame Peter has dysphonia and won't be recording/touring anymore. I hope he finds the time to write and publish his autobiography. It'd be great to read more about his career especially anecdotes about the NY scene in the early sixties and the personalities he met.
dazmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly didn't buy the Both Ways album, because the prices listed on Bandcamp don't include tax. In the UK this adds another 20% which makes it a bit expensive.
I'm not really sure why an internet retailer has to charge sales tax, but fortunately its not strongly enforced.
I found that if you set your residence as Canada, the Sales tax is zero, which saves a bit Wink
I also bought it on Bandcamp Friday which means that the artist gets 93% of the income rather than the 82% earned at other times (at least thats what Bandcamp says..)
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea Bandcamp charges tax in certain countries?! That's strange! Is that the same in Europe? Or only UK?