message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

How are we all holding up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I’m not American enough to read the link but it’s interesting the difference in vaccine take up. It must be a mission to vaccinate America compared to here being such a small place. I think loads of uk people just did it so they could go on holiday, what with our weather often being poor and us all being very locked in for a long time.
There are a few forbidden planets in the uk. The one in cardiff is small but surviving. Is it a uk company? I will have a research.
lauragek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're at 71% of 18+ fully vaccinated here in NL. Not too far behind the UK! 51+ are at 84% and 76-80 are even at 91%! Since July we are also vaccinating 12-18 year olds, they're currently at 47% having their 1st vaccination which I actually think is quite impressive after months of having heard it might not be safe or useful to vaccinate minors.

I hope the younger agegroups (<30) will get more vaccines, they're still all under 70% having at least 1 vaccination. I think a lot of people are postponing theirs until they're back from holidays. Which, doesn't sound like the best logic...

In the meantime I'm quite happy that we've been blessed with a very mild summer. I love temperatures around 20 C so it's been perfect for me, not like the crazy droughts and heatwaves we had the past 2 years! Next week my 2 week holiday starts and I'm excited to have some time off Smile
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the latest NY Times reports as of today (Aug 18, 2021):

An average of 2,018 cases per day were reported in New York City, a 40 percent increase from the average two weeks ago. Since the beginning of the pandemic, at least 1 in 8 residents have been infected, a total of 1,007,992 reported cases. Right now, New York City is at a very high risk for unvaccinated people.

Getting vaccinated is an important way to protect yourself and others from getting Covid. Because of very high Covid-19 transmission in New York City right now, unvaccinated people are at a very high risk. Vaccinated people are at minimal risk.

About 72.3 percent of USA adults have received at least one shot. President Biden set a goal on May 4 of reaching 70 percent of adults by July 4, but it took almost a month extra to reach that national target. Providers are administering about 771,000 doses per day on average, about a 77 percent decrease from the peak of 3.38 million reported on April 13.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you had a good two weeks off Laura and managed to chill out and do some wedding planning.
Thanks for the vaccination updates. It’s good to have something positive to speak about. I hear Australia is slow. I have a pen pal there and she said in July that only 5% of people were fully vaccinated there which I was pretty shocked about.
I went to a gig last week and it was so good! That’s what music is meant to sound like! After a year of car music, YouTube and a stereo it was great. Definitely recommend it when you all feel ready and are able.
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man that is great Helen! I have tickets for a show in November and can't wait for it.

I did have a great holiday and we managed to actually leave the Netherlands and visit Denmark! Even more wonderous, my brother managed to make it there from Finland so it was the first time A.C. that we were able to get together with the whole family - my parents, brothers, and all partners. Besides not being able to sit indoors in a restaurant during a short shower, we didn't really have to think about the pandemic anymore which was a very welcome break.

I just read that here at my university campus, 88% of the students are already fully vaccinated and 94% plan to get fully vaccinated. Makes me feel good about going to teach them (in a real classroom!) in a couple weeks!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you teach laura? I admire anyone who dedicated their career to helping others. Education is everything! I’m glad your students will be as safe as possible. Education starts back in the uk this week after the summer break so we will have to see what that does to case numbers here, despite deaths being fairly low especially compared to the worst of times Covid is still rampant.
I’m happy for you that you got to see the family, that must have been incredible. I’ve seen all of mine but not all together yet. I am moving house at some point so maybe I will host when I get that far.
I booked the theatre for my birthday next year to see the genius that is derren brown so hopefully that will go ahead. I’ve seen him on most of his recent tours and loved it. Clever is amazing. And he has an enviable pen collection.
Sending out happy loving vibes to all of you x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Turner Cody and This is the Kit are playing together in Brussels on Sept 8, I wish I could be at that gig! I think they are doing a couple other shows too, and I think Turner has additional tour dates, I don't know if they are all in Belgium.

Here in NYC things are still sort of stalled, but I got to see Diane Cluck play a very nice house-show in Brooklyn a couple nights ago, and tomorrow (Wed) I'm going to go to see a big free concert in Central Park of Yo La Tengo (my favorite live band!).

Here's the latest news for NYC virus stuff, from amNY:

Though the Delta variant continues to target the unvaccinated in New York City by the thousands, signs in the latest city Health Department data indicate that the latest wave of COVID-19 infections may be starting to crest.

The 7-day average daily number of cases fell from 1,906 on Aug. 13 to 1,859 on Aug. 16. In that same period, the hospitalization rate also dropped from 108 to 89

Higher vaccination rates are credited for the decline in cases

64% of New Yorkers have had at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, and nearly 57% are now fully vaccinated
lauragek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird to hear of these festivals and concerts happening in Belgium and the UK, when night life is still all closed here in the Netherlands. Sports events like soccer games and the Formula 1 are allowed huge events, but festivals are still only possible with <750 people and dedicated seating. Which makes the music festivals financially infeasible. It feels like the government is (once again) trying to kill the cultural sector...

Our next date is September 20th, hopefully after that more will be allowed but I'm not allowing myself too much excitement. Our number of infections have stopped going down and vaccination rates are barely increasing anymore too. At least I can feel safe in my own bubbles where people do feel like the vaccine is a safe option, but that does not help with easing the country-wide restrictions that are left.

And now I have to consider whether I find it okay to drive accross the border to Brussels for that This is the Kit concert, or whether I should wait and go see her in Groningen next year.... Who knew choosing which concerts to attend would become a moral dillemma!
lauragek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you and your friends and family are safe with all the mess Ida left behind Jeff!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same as above. When New York weather makes the uk news it must be bad!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The storm really didn't seem so bad here in Manhattan, it was just some rain. But the next day I saw some crazy scary footage from flooding subways, and then I read those crazy news stories about people drowning - what the heck?!? The west coast is burning all the time... a pandemic has shut down the world for a year and a half... people are drowning in NYC... it is not good, is it? In order for me to not freak out I think I would need to have one nice normal year, at least. Otherwise it's going to start to feel like we've really reached the end of the world that we once knew! But, really, I don't need to get into some state of anxiety about it, there's nothing I can do anyway. Just appreciate all the things we have. Things could all be fine.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m glad it didn’t affect you personally Jeff but feel sorry for the local people it did. We are coming to the end of summer here, not that it was a particularly nice one, mostly cloudy.