$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Syd Barrett Word Song

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Syd Barrett Word Song Reply with quote

Listening to Syd's "Word Song" recently I noticed a little bit of alphabetical order in it that I'd never notice before. It certainly jumps around quite a bit, but I think there's kind of a flow between the early section that's more like G-H-I-J words, then it gets to a section that's more like L-M words, then there's more R-S-T words, then V and W words. Throughout the song there are more words NOT in alphabetical order than there are words in alphabetical order, but I used to think the list of words was completely random and I never noticed the faint hint of an overall alphabetical sweep.
dazmann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff - I think you're correct in your analysis of these lyrics.

I thought that from the general delivery of the song and its fragmentary nature that this song indicated his mental illness and decline. I did take a look at the recording dates and its among his final recordings from July 1970.

As I've got older I've observed people around me suffer similarly - their illness robs them of the career, friends, health. All very sad.

I've read some music articles that suggest Syd chose to move away from music and pursue painting instead, but I don't think this is what happened. His illness forced his withdrawal.

I read that Peter Green, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, died recently and his story was similar to that of Syd, although he did return to performing music. He was a fantastic guitarist and songwriter on their first few albums. I much prefer their early blues albums.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a nice post dazmann. I don’t know about the song but will get around to finding out. Sorry for my ignorance! Hope everyone is doing well xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen, did you end up finding/listening to the song? It's not one of Syd's best, but it does have a certain unique atmosphere to it.
Dazman, do you have a list of recording dates for Syd's stuff? I had never paid attention to what stuff was recorded when, or how the dates might relate to his well-being. Does it seem to be the case that the later the recording-date, the more fragmented and partial the recording? Some of those songs on Opal are so minimal, like he had barely put time into writing them, like Word Song or Birdy Hop. But it's all so touching and strange and powerful like all his stuff, he has this unique way to make the strangest surreal material seem like the most personal. For other artists you would think the "surreal" or "nonsense" element of lyrics would mean you are not getting a glimpse into the artist's real thoughts, but with Syd you get the sense that he's being entirely vulnerable and personal even when the songs are completely abstract.
There's nothing "autobiographical" in his songs but you feel so close to him, it's still really not like anything else, is it? I first got a cassette of Opal when I was a teenager and it was the most disturbing and scary and messed-up thing I'd ever heard but it touched my heart and I became a Syd-obsessive.
dazmann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this term which seems to describe Syd's Word Song - schizophasia or word salad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_salad

quote: a "confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases",most often used to describe a symptom of a neurological or mental disorder.

Perhaps this song could be interpreted as a symptom of his schizophrenia?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think of that schizophasia condition more like the landlord in Joe Matt's Peepshow comic, I think issue#6, where the landlord has had a stroke and is using nonsense words for normal things but doesn't notice... like he says "were you able to play those videos in your vikor-finkle?" and he means VCR, but he doesn't notice that he has said anything strange...