$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Holy Modals, Dylan & Elvis...strange connections

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazmann

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Holy Modals, Dylan & Elvis...strange connections Reply with quote

I was just listening to Dylan's new/old album 1970 and his version of Alligator Man. I only knew this song from The Holy Modal Rounders album Good Taste Is Timeless - I thought it was an original Stampfel-Weber song. Actually its an older country tune (the Modals is the best version btw) but the original by Jimmy C. Newman is neat because the violin is played to sound like a mosquito.
I started looking through the GTIT album credits and noticed that DJ Fontana & Scotty Moore are credited on the album notes. They were 2 of Elvis' original backing group - who'd have guessed they'd contribute to a Modals album...(?!?!)
If that wasn't enough Pete Drake also appears - he's a great slide guitar player. He played on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album and probably most famously on Lay Lady Lay, by (guess-who, back where we started) Bob Dylan.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-interesting, I didn't know any of that! I know a few different versions of Alligator Man, wasn't aware of Dylan's though. Chris Darrow of 60s USA band Kaleidoscope does a version (the Kaleidoscope were sort of a west coast version of the Holy Modal Rounders, especially their first album Side Trips - but there's also a UK Kaleidoscope in the 60s and an amazing Mexican 60s garage-psych album Kaleidoscope, maybe there's even more Kaleidoscope bands too! But I digress... that's off topic!)