$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Lisa (Herman Dune) Li-Lund & Jeffrey Lewis, old recordin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Lisa (Herman Dune) Li-Lund & Jeffrey Lewis, old recordin Reply with quote

Lisa (Herman Dune) Li-Lund and Jeffrey Lewis recorded these 4 songs around 2005-ish(?), finally seeing the light of day as Lisa has been releasing bits of her back-catalogue...
https://backl.ink/142673247?fbclid=IwAR26GrRuPQgWm4FkVtpootGHneeTFl_pFOz3r0Aw1BldK2ybH0ReqP0qfbI
LISA : "On my birthday a million years ago, my family bought me a plane ticket to NYC. My brother André gave me a tiny piece of paper on which he wrote 3 phone numbers : Turner Cody’s, his friend Pedro’s, and the landline at Jeffrey Lewis’ parents’ place in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
I could spend a couple of nights at my Swedish girlfriend’s place in Brooklyn and after that it was up to me to find a place to stay and a life to live.
I bought a phone card at the deli and went to the pay phone at the corner of Bedford avenue at Lorimer Street.
I called Jeffrey, introduced myself to his mom then heard his incredible deep voice for the first time.
He said « stay right where you are, I’ll come meet you ». So we met a while later, we grabbed coffee and sat on the rocks at the waterfront, looking at Manhattan from Brooklyn for the first time. We talked for hours, he took me into the City by foot, we crossed the bridge, stopped to eat some Indian food at Punjabi on Houston Street, then to the Sidewalk Café to play an Open Mic show.
Right there and then I met the artists that would become my heart of hearts, they all took my in, at first because they knew my brothers, but very quickly we built our own story, friendships and music. I ended up staying in NYC to live, found a day job at an art gallery, played shows every night and recorded a bunch of albums.
I lived with Jeffrey at some point, amongst his records and his wonderful drawings, and even though we were such good friends, I could never quite get over how talented and impressive he is. I still can’t figure out how someone can have such a huge production of records and comic books and never lose the intensity and sincerity in their work.
One night he came over to my place on 14 street and 6th avenue, and we wrote and recorded this EP, 'MURDER IN BLUR', all in a few hours. We recorded directly into the in-built mic of my computer in Garage Band. We sang about polar bears, bones, the Moon, shadows and ghosts and we were happy.. We called ourselves HEART OF BLOOD and this is when I started relentlessly writing about blood..."

JEFFREY LEWIS : "I remember the little apartment Lisa was staying in at that time, on 14th St near 6th Avenue in Manhattan. And I remember a particular time we spent there, one afternoon, recording these songs together, sitting on her floor, as the afternoon drifted into evening. Did we really write and record four songs just in a few hours, from zero to finished? I guess we did... Just think of what we could have done if we'd spent every afternoon just like that, all year long! Four songs written/recorded per day, for 365 days in a year, that would have been... 1,460 recorded songs!"[/url]
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave these a listen while crafting this afternoon. Found it on YouTube which worked better for me than the link provided. It’s a very relaxing record, reminded me of Low with the male/female vocal. 2005 feels so close and yet so long ago! Thanks for sharing xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, I didn't even know it was on Youtube, I haven't even heard those songs myself in ages, I should go give it a listen.