$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Bad Wiring / Except For The Fact That It Isn't - video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Bad Wiring / Except For The Fact That It Isn't - video Reply with quote

The video for the "Except For The Fact That It Isn't" from Bad Wiring has been released.

It can be seen here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3hW0lIRh4A&feature=emb_logo

Has anyone else noticed the similarities with the movie "They Live" by John Carpenter? Jeff wouldn't be the first to reference this movie - Shepard Fairey does in his artworks too.

Great video. Great movie.

Last edited by dazmann on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Wiring seems to be getting plenty of positive reviews. I agree. Its the most listenable JL album I can recall in some time.

It feels like a more personal album in its subject matter and the absence of semi-humorous songs or spoken-word tracks (eg. Krongu Green Slime, The Pigeon) makes it appear like a more serious work. It also makes it easier to listen on repeat(!)

I was puzzled that several posts seems to be questioning if Jeff is OK based on an analysis of the lyrics. Perhaps this observation is based on the song Depression, Despair! - but I notice that this song appeared on the 2016 Secret Summer album so its already quite old, and I figured the album was probably recorded several months ago. (edit - it was recorded in March 2018)

The opening song made me think of Daniel Johnson. However, it was written well before he passed away in Sept-2019, so he cannot be the subject (if there is one).
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thé video is really cool. So glad they put the fight scene. Put the fucking glasses on!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the idea to do a They Live music video a long time ago... it has taken many years to use this idea! I'm sure other people have probably done this also. It seemed like such a simple perfect idea - I find some sunglasses, and in black and white scenes the audience sees what the sunglasses are "revealing". I just wasn't sure exactly what song would be good to use this video idea for, and I wasn't sure what should be "revealed". One idea I had originally (years ago) was maybe political, like, left wing people who are "revealed" to be more right wing, and right wing people who are the reverse... or some other ideas of what is observed vs. what is revealed... but ultimately I think the Fact/Isn't video is a good use of the idea, and I think it came out good. The hard part was finding enough happy images, and then figuring out how to transform them into "revealed" sad images! I'm not much of an expert with Photoshop, I did my best... but some of them look pretty weird! : D
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the video, thanks for sharing the joy. I totally got the sunglasses thing. We all play parts when we don’t feel like we’re feeling like is socially acceptable. If you’re miserable long term it is just necessary in order to not have everyone you love give up on you. What is it about Jeff getting beaten up in videos? I’m thinking Williamsburg.... too. X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point about the "getting beat up" thing! That's it, next video I'M gonna be the one beating up somebody!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every so often I get so frustrated with myself I feel like I could do with getting beaten up. But yes, a victorious fight would be nice one day if it fits the right song!
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the earlier comments about the They Live movie...I recently watched another 80's cult sci-fi movie called Repo Man. The story is completely different from TL but it has a similar feel about it. I could easily have imagined it was based on a graphic novel/comic book (but it wasn't). I definitely recommend searching it out. Its stars a young Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton (who always elevates any film he's in).

Its also got a great soundtrack featuring several West Coast hardcore/punk bands that I've not heard much of before - Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks etc. So its been good searching out more of their stuff. And lastly, if that's not enticing enough: the movie title track is by Iggy Pop.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Repo Man, and the soundtrack too! When I was a kid I remember seeing that movie and I really didn't get it, I thought a sci-fi movie would have more action, it just seemed weird and boring to me... but then when I watched it again later in life I really loved it, I think I've seen it maybe 4 times total, but not in a while.
It definitely has that weird 1980s low-budget sci-fi feeling, and the look of the colors and the hairstyles.
It would be cool to somehow do a music video in "Repo Man" style! : D
I think there was a modern re-make done in the past 10 years some time but I haven't seen it. It's probably not very good.