Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Hip hop Family tree

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Hip hop Family tree Reply with quote

I'm reading hip hop family tree and it's really great. The art is so nice and the whole story of hip hop is really interesting. It makes me wanna listen to all these bootleg tapes. I guess you can find it on the internet.
I'm in the middle of volume 2 and i can't put it down.
I reallt enjoy the part about The Beastie Boys amongst other.

I also read Daniel Clowes's Patience. I really enjoyed it. i'm kinda obsessed with anything related to time travel so i really liked it.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Hip Hop Family Tree! I can't get enough of it.
I just found out that there's a new Alan Moore series, "Tempest", there are 4 issues already out, how did I miss this?! It's a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing. Two more issues to go, it's a 6-part series. I just started reading issue # 1 and of course I love it...
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 1/2/3 i got tout order 4. It's really great, as usual.
Volume 3 is sôoooooo cool, i don't wanna spoil.....
apilkington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the first two, and am keen to get up to date.

I read in an interview that Piskor wants to cover all the way up to the deaths of Biggie and Tupac and conclude it there. I know he's doing that X-Men Grand Design thing at the moment but I think he's almost done. But 10 more years of history must mean at least a few more volumes, a life time of work even! I hope he gets back to it soon.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah can't wait for more Hip Hop Family Tree! So happy to hear he's doing more! Plus I still have two more issues of the Alan Moore Tempest series to go. So it's a rare happy time in comix-land for me, to have stuff to look forward to!

But in sadder news my childhood comic book store St Marks Comics just announced they are closing this month, after 36 years. I was there for all 36 of those years! I was 7 when they opened (and Jack was 2). The last thing I bought there was an issue of Tempest.

And Sidewalk Cafe, my musical home for 20+ years, where I started out, is closing this month too. Two big parts of my life, and big parts of my neighborhood. It's a very depressing winter!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time turns everything to dust...that's sad.
Here is Rennes there is no comic book store, there is hardly a descent record store...but we have a starbuck now, and a couple burger kings and soon a five guys.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I guess the problem is that these places stay too long. If Sidewalk had closed in 2001 it wouldn't be so sad now. If St Marks Comics had closed in 1994 I wouldn't have cared so much maybe. When a place lives for such a long time, becomes such a normal part of life, then it hits so hard when it goes away! But after 36 years of St Marks Comics, and about 25 years of music at Sidewalk, WHY do both of these pieces of the neighborhood have to suddenly close in the SAME MONTH?!?! That's so weird. I must be suffering from some astrological thing.
Pat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always wanted to go to the sidewalk sucks that ill never be able to
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same! Last time I visited New York I was too young to visit the cafe (or at least I told myself I was and didn't even try to get in). I was planning on visiting the legendary place next time I get to visit NY, guess I waited too long Sad

It's getting harder and harder to find good cd stores too. Of course, second hand the offer is exploding with everyone getting rid of their collections, but it's a lot of the same stuff. And new releases you still have to buy new somewhere... I used to go to the CD store every 2 weeks, now it's more like every 2 months or less!

1.5 year ago they closed the skate church in Arnhem. Which, if you google it, was an amazing place where they built a skate park in a retired church. An amazing safe place for kids and adults alike, but the building was sold and they had to remove all ramps. I just heard the community has managed to regain access to the church, and they're currently rebuilding all ramps. That's one bit of very hopeful news against the tide of all cultural spaces closing down around here too!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skate Church, that sounds amazing!!

It's been a very emotional week at the Sidewalk Cafe, I have been going almost every night, for the final Winter Antifolk Festival. Everybody on stage is saying such nice things about Sidewalk, how they got their start there, various memories of the place.
The final performance is this coming Saturday, Feb 23, I think the final set will be played by Diane Cluck.
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame - I was planning to visit the Sidewalk Cafe on my next NY visit too. Its been on my "bucket list" for years...

Oddly enough just today I received a copy of the album "Sidewalk Songs & City Stories" named after the venue, I guess. It was released in 2007, and features a mixture of anti-folk artists. Jeffrey appears twice (once solo, and once with Kimya Dawson) and his artwork also adorns the cover,

All things must past...ho hum
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even remember that compilation!! Who put it out??