Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Velvet underground question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Velvet underground question Reply with quote

Am i the only one who can not stand Nico's voice. I wish i could hear i'll be your mirror with Lou Reed's voice...is there any veriosn of it floating around? LP version i mean.
Lou did the right thing refusing her to sing sunday morning.
What's your view on Nico's singing on velvet underground tunes?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nico, especially her solo albums Chelsea Girl, The Marble Index and Desertshore, but I think it's a bit funny how she is associated so strongly with the Velvet Underground, she is only on 3 songs in their entire career!! I'll Be Your Mirror, All Tomorrow's Parties and Femme Fatale. That's it!!! She was not really a member of the band, it was only for some weird attempt at promotion that her name is on the cover of the first VU album, it really doesn't deserve to be on there if you think about it, if it was really "The Velvet Underground & Nico" then she would sing all the songs (like "Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers"! Or "Jeffrey Lewis & Los Bolts"!) ... but the REAL album that is the Velvet Underground and Nico is Chelsea Girl, which is a very cool and interesting record, with the VU on it and some great Lou Reed songs.
There are certainly live recordings of the VU where they perform Mirror, Parties and Femme Fatale without Nico, so you can hear the songs with Lou or John singing them (like on the Velvet Underground 1969 live album, and on the live reunion album from the early 90s)... but I don't know of any studio out-takes with those songs being sung by another member.
Similarly, I know there is a Rolling Stones studio outtake where Mick Jagger sings "You Got the Silver", which is a Keith Richards lead vocal on the actual Let It Bleed album, I've never heard the Jagger-vocal original recording but I think it is a common bootleg.
dazmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing about the VU&N album that I'd change. I still remember my Wow! reaction when I first heard it about 25 years ago. It really works as an album - it starts so slow and mellow and finishes loud and crazy. I think Nico's voice is unique - distant and mysterious. Its one of the few albums I never get tired of hearing.