$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

A good LP discovery, 1973

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: A good LP discovery, 1973 Reply with quote

As you may know, I am always trying to find lost albums that have something special about them, and I recently fell in love with a new discovery...
The album is by an artist called "Jimmy Carter and Dallas County Green," they only made one album it seems, 1973. My friend Jan in Berlin sent me a mix many years ago that had one track from this album on it, and I loved the song more than anything else on the mix, and I could never find any information about the record it came from. I didn't even know the artist name. Jan had got the track from somebody else.
Every once in a while I would search for it online and find nothing. Finally I found the artist's name, but still I couldn't find anything about the album.
But a couple days ago my search discovered that the album has finally been reissued, and I was able to buy an official download from Amazon for about $8. (I searched PopSike for information about original copies but originals sell for about $200 it seems.)
Anyway, I really love the whole record. It has a very nice Neil Young sound, a bit of Grateful Dead feeling too, but it has a certain very simple magic that is unique and moving.
There's nothing "strange" about this record, it's just very good songwriting. Here's a track that somebody put on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9giYXQzeXKk

I also love that the album cover is so generic (as you can see in the Youtube clip)... it looks like a bad religious album you would find in a $1 bin in a thrift store, among 1,000 other boring religious albums. There is no indication that it is actually a really good record.
I think this is the best album I have bought all year!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on repeat listens I think the album really has about 3 or 4 really solid great songs and the rest of the album doesn't hit those same highs, but still it's got a really nice 70s country-rock atmosphere and the best songs on it are really good, in my humble opinion!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing, the tune on youtube is really nice.