Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Sparkle hard - the new Malkmus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Sparkle hard - the new Malkmus Reply with quote

I've baught it a couple of day ago and it's really good, a lot of tunes sounds like good old Pavement. Any of you heard it? I really think it's his best work since Pig Lib, his second LP.
Theres' a really cool song with Kim Gordon and a couple of weirdish songs that sounds really cool.
I can't get Middle america out of my head

jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool! I've really become a fan of Malkmus & the Jicks, it's actually one of the very few bands where I hear about a new album and then go out to a music store and buy the CD... But since the last Jicks album the store where I used to buy CDs is gone! I guess I'll have to go to Brooklyn to find a music shop that might sell new CDs... Or I could order it online... but I'd rather support a store (if there ARE any stores anymore!).
I did see recently that they had a pretty big 2-month USA tour booked this summer, I had emailed a couple people that I know in the band to ask if I could be the support act for some of their gigs but they already had other bands booked.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the 12 inch at thé supermarket for 19 €.
I've never Seen the jicks live, Saw Pavement 3 Times, 2 with Gary young and a reunion gig. Pavement ist Rad.
Didn't you tour with thé jicks a few years ago?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me and Jack did a tour in Europe opening for Malkmus & The Jicks in 2008... it was amazing for us! Tho it was difficult... the pay was 50 euro per gig, and their tour jumped all over the place, from Milan to Paris to Hamburg to Dublin, we had to really hustle to keep up, and we did everything we could to make extra money along the way, playing extra gigs in the day time, playing gigs on all the off-dates, sleeping in airports, just so we could do the tour and not lose money! And it was great! I wish we could have afforded to have a drummer with us on the tour too, but I guess it kept things very simple just to be a duo.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I did get the new Malkmus album this week!
But it was difficult to get!
Like I said before, there are no more indie music shops near me in Manhattan where I used to be able to buy a new CD like this.
I COULD probably have gone to the record label office and got a copy for free (Rough Trade and Matador share an office, and it's close enough that I can walk there), but I wanted to buy it in a store, it's so rare that a new CD comes out that I actually want to buy, it's a rare experience! So I had to keep searching...
My mother told me that the big Barnes & Nobel bookstore at Union Square has a pretty good music section, so I went there and it's true- it's really like an old-fashioned music store, like Tower Records or Virgin Music, where you actually have all these shelves of new CDs and LPs and DVDs, the kind of store that you don't think exists anymore! Too bad it's a big corporation and not a little indie shop, but still, it's like a piece of the past.
But they didn't have the Malkmus CD! But the said they could order a copy for me, from their other store further uptown. So I said okay.
So then about a week later they telephoned me and said the CD was there at the store, so I walked back to Union Square and I bought it.
It was 17.99, plus tax, so it was $20. That's a lot of money just for a CD. Then when I got it home and opened the wrapping I found that the packaging is so cheap and thoughtless, there's NOTHING inside, no booklet, no foldout, just the CD and a bit of the kind of "slacker" art scribbles and photo-collage that used to be on some Pavement and Fall albums. The packaging is just a cheap digipack, like somebody at an open mic would make for their CD, because it's the cheapest, simplest package you can make.
So it was hard to even find a store, then it took some time to order it, then it was much more expensive than it should have been, then the package itself was pointless to own. No wonder CD sales are down! How can the music industry expect people to buy CDs when the situation is like this??
Anyway, I like the album, I have only heard it two times but I'll listen more. I love the Kim Gordon vocal, it's really great to hear her sing a "real" song instead of just the noise-experiment stuff she's been doing with Body/Head (although I like that stuff too). I have really grown to enjoy Malkmus a lot, I have all his solo albums (except the first one), I remember in the early 2000s I really didn't like this stuff but as I came to appreciate his personality and his kind of creative energy I became a real fan.
Still, my favorite album of his is "Real Emotional Trash" and for some reason that's the one that all the reviews say is his WORST album! I don't understand why. Usually when you read any Malkmus review they seem to make a point of saying "this new album continues his great solo career, where he has put out lots of great albums, except for Real Emotional Trash" or stuff like that. I think the songs on "Real Emotional Trash" are the most enjoyable to listen to, musically, and have some of his most powerful and personal and interesting lyrics.
But I like the other albums too. Maybe the reason Real Emotional Trash is my favorite is because that is the album they were touring when Jack and I toured with them in 2008, so I got to hear those songs live many times, and so my love for those songs grew and grew.