Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Is it too early for an Albums of the Year list?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Is it too early for an Albums of the Year list? Reply with quote

What's come out, i'm drawing a blank...

Florist - If Blue Could Be Happiness is definitely worth a check
https://florist.bandcamp.com/

Conor Oberst - Ruminations was really great.

My old buddy Kyle put out his first album in about 2 years, solid stuff
https://kittencrisis.bandcamp.com/

What else did folks love?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I always have a hard time even thinking of what albums came out in a current year...
Definitely the most recent Clemence Freschard album "Sunday Night" is great!!
linomat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Lotta Sea Lice by Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile that just came out; also great is the new album from The Burning Hell: Revival Beach.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say The Surfing Magazines self titled LP is my favorite of 2017, i also got to confess i haven't buy that many records this years, wasn't really excited by anything.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard the Courtney Barnett/Vile album, but they just played a huge show here in NYC, at Beacon Theater, that's where people like Bob Dylan play (I saw Dylan there, with Turner Cody, a couple years ago, somebody gave us free tickets... and message-board Hamlet was there too!)... expensive tickets too... I guess that project is super-popular!
I haven't heard the Surfing Magazines yet either but everybody keeps telling me about them! I was trying to play a show with them in Manchester on this recent tour but it didn't work out, maybe next time!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is too early. I'm still listening to my favourite albums of about 15 years ago or something... I haven't heard the new Morrissey album yet (out soon) so maybe it will be that. I liked Salutations/Ruminations, but everything else I've brought has been old.
I expect in 10 years I will tell you what I liked this year!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same here...
Mostly been listening to a lot of old live Pink Floyd on youtube... and a 3-CD Bo Diddley box set I bought cheap somewhere... and always just lots of old 60s/70s LPs at home, recently been rearranging records and rediscovering ones i haven't put on in a bit... Like "Kilimanjaro" by Teardrop Explodes, one of my favorite albums!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was cleaning at home and decided to spend the whole time with youtube on my phone checking out new/current bands as I am so stuck in the past. I looked on emails from record companies I like and did some research, playing around 5 bands in the end. None of them were terrible, but none were anything I'd want to listen to again either. Can't decide if it's all beyond me these days or if there's a lack of genius in only what I played or maybe the old stuff really is the best. The best ones I found were Young Jesus but to be honest the music was too indulgent and the lyrics too poor to pass my high standards.
I will keep trying, thanks for the recommendations.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPeaking of checking out music on Youtube, while I was doing some work today I figured "you know what? I've never heard that band Swans, I know they are kind of famous, and I know some people who are really into them, but I've never heard their music and I know nothing about them, really... so let me search for "Swans" on Youtube and find out if I like this stuff." But then instead of a Swans album coming up on top of the list, the top of the search list was a "Guide" to getting into the Swans, so that seemed perfect! Some guy talking about the Swans, explaining the band and saying which albums are the best to get into! BUT unfortunately, he just talked and talked and never played any of their music! But it was interesting! And now it's really funny, now I know all about the Swans entire discography, and the different styles of music they played, and which are the best albums and the best songs, but I have STILL never heard a single Swans song!! Anyway, the guide is pretty entertaining and interesting, if anybody wants to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Uet2o4w8&list=PLKRRjKLRXNJmYKLSA1Zq1R64_vOwWC8rA&index=3
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many cool band to be discovered, that's so great, and the internet makes it quite easy
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ex that LOVED Swans, it's a bit much for me but loads of people love them. One of the benefits from things like you tube is that you can find out about all that stuff you never heard but was on your radar. When I was younger I actively went to random gigs and shared a million mix tapes with penpals, but now it seems like too much effort and I just want to stay at home in the evenings warm and safe rather than sitting drunkenly through another bad setlist, but it's nice I can still do this a bit at home and seeing what is out there. x
mama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone checked out The War on Drugs album that came out this year? It's called A Deeper Understanding. Totally incredible. Great road album full of atmosphere. Can't recommend it enough.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation!