$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Happy Halloween

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Happy Halloween Reply with quote

Happy Halloween all! I got together with Los Bolts (Brent & Mem) last night and celebrated Brent's birthday by making them watch Bad Taste, one of my favorite "horror" movies from teenage years that I hadn't watched in forever! It still stands up! (It's not really much of a horror movie cuz it's not scary at all)
Now I gotta get back to planning my costume... just planning to walk around the streets tonight and see what other costumes people have. Usually a good NYC activity on Halloween.
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You too Jeff, I celebrated this weekend considering I gotta work tomorrow. forgot how awesome the original evil dead is;
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a nice one, since a few years we also celebrate Halloween in France, as americans do i mean.
About bad taste, yeah it was one of my favorite also, had even baught the VHS, i watched it a lot back then but i haven't seen it in so long, i remember it was really funny and really gore. gotta watch it again
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't celebrate Halloween, never do. I had a grand total of one person knock on my door so have a lot of sweets left.
Hope you and your family and friends are safe after the events in NY today Jeff. My brother in law is there but is safe and well and flying back to England tonight.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that truck-driving terror attack was awful to hear about.
All of them are so awful, these attacks! Terrorists, or just other random lunatics. But what can you do? I gotta just go about my life, and just hope nothing bad happens to anyone I know. Like getting on an airplane! I'm always like "aaaaah, I hope nothing bad happens!!" And then I do it anyway, and it's fine.
So i went to the Halloween parade and usual and walked around the streets and had a cool time and saw some cool costumes. What the hell, if somebody runs me over, who wants to live forever anyway.
As for those movies - yeah the original Evil Dead is so good! Though Evil Dead 2 remains my favorite of all time... (I never saw the recent Evil Dead remake, it's probably bad...)
Me and my girlfriend watched the 1958 movie of "The Fly" with Vincent Price, really enjoyable! Now i want to re-watch the 80s Cronenburg remake, haven't seen that in forever...
Pat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remake is probably the best remake of a movie i've ever seen but still nothing compared to the original.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tho the 80s had a number of good horror movie remakes, taking 50s horror movie and making modern versions that came out really cool! The Fly, The Blob, The Thing... all awesome, from what I can recall! What else...
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original The blob movie was pretty bad, and i really like Steve mCQueen movies.
The 80's were such a blessed era for fanstastic/horror movies, we had no idea then.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's true... horror movies really stopped after the 80s, there was no more Friday the 13th, no more Nightmare on Elm Street, no more John Carpenter movies or George Romero movies... when the 90s started the culture changed so much! Then horror movies started coming back by the late 90s a bit. It's strange that zombies have become so popular, it's hard to remember that in the 90s nobody talked about zombies, there were no zombie movies for a long time. When I wrote "Shoot the Head Kill the Ghoul", originally written around 1998, I was talking about old, old movies! It was about 15 years after Day of the Dead, 20 years after Dawn of the Dead. But then in the late 90s it started a bit to come back, with Sean of the Dead, and 28 Days Later, and now zombies are a big part of modern culture, so many new zombie movies and TV shows and comic books and everything. So many I haven't seen!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80's zombie flicks were really great and /or fun, like return of the living dead. modern zombie movies are mostly bad, Shaun of the dead was great though, really funny.
I sometimes think about all the cool stuff i did as a kid that doesn't exist anymore and that y daughter will never know, like renting a movie at the video store, i use to like wandering in these a lot after school, looking for a good stuff to rent for the week end, kids won't be going to the arcade either, now they got their playstaions at home, these things were so great and fun and made you go out of your home, meet people and all. I think i'm getting old.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too!
Arcades and video rental stores...
at least there are still comic book stores, and a few book stores and records stores left sometimes too!
Actually there has been a hip revival of arcades in certain areas in the USA, there's a business called Barcade here in NYC, I think there are 3 of them, it's a bar with a lot of arcade games, sort of a hipster place, but it's really cool and fun to find some of the old arcade games. Ground Control in Portland Oregon is also a big arcade with lots of old games and a very popular hip place to hang out in Portland, it gets very crowded sometimes. Maybe video rental places will have the next revival, as hipster bars! That would be nice.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch films very often and find them all hard to follow and difficult to understand, but Shaun of the Dead is one of the greats, I'm so glad loving Spaced made me give it some time.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen Spaced....
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should if you get a chance. It's about two people in their late 20s sharing a flat, and the origin of a lot of the jokes in Shaun of the Dead. It really spoke to me at the time of my life I first saw it, and is very funny x