Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Revelation in the wink of an eye?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Revelation in the wink of an eye? Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

saw on your facebook page that comic book (maybe it's not a comic though) called revelation in the wink of an eye on your new merch table thingy, is that a new comic? I don't see it on the merch page of your website, is it possible to buy it somehow?
Thanks
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my Watchmen book, I only printed a few of them to test it out...

"A handful of limited, signed/numbered first-edition test-copies of "Revelations in the Wink of an Eye: My Insane Musings on Watchmen, from Conspiracies to Stupidities," 115 pages, 20 years in the making!"

They cost about $11 each to print, which is too expensive, I've been selling them for $15 but they are heavy to carry and ship. I have to figure out a different way to format them and print them so I can make them cheaper and sell them cheaper. I think maybe I can make a re-edited edition later in the year, if I work on it a bit more!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nice, i wish i have had got myself a first print copy, 15 bucks for a 20 years work sounds like a fair deal.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, any update on this one? i'm really waiting to read it.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent like 5 emails to Tom K at Uncivilized Books, I don't really know what's up with that... back in the spring, when i first put out my own limited edition of the book, I had a meeting with Tom and he said he'd be into publishing an official version, via his publishing company Uncivilized Books. He said if I could get him a finished/re-edited/final-formatted version of the book by the end of July, it could perhaps be put on a print schedule and be released sometime by early 2018. I did the work and sent him the finished product in time, by the end of July, and then I never really heard any more about it!
I keep emailing him every month or so, hoping that something might still happen with this.
Also, I got an email from Nina at Rough Trade Books, saying that Rough Trade Books is looking for things to publish if I have anything that might work as a book, so I was thinking maybe they'd be interested in publishing this, if Uncivilized Books is not going to do it. But I haven't heard back from Rough Trade Books either.
I'm too busy with tour-booking and other projects to really put the time into seeking a publisher, I think that would take a lot of time, contacting people and sending the book out. Maybe if I don't hear back from these people I might just go with my original plan and publish the book myself, even though it might be expensive. I think it could be a successful item; I'm not scared about it not selling, I just get scared thinking about how I don't really know anything about book distribution and publishing and formatting, it would be easier for me if a publisher just did it! But I don't want to sit on it forever. I'll just publish it myself if I have to! Hopefully it'll be out in 2018, one way or another.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on this Jeff
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished the copy you sent me Jeffrey and it was so cool. I had to buy the english version of the book cos you made me realise that the french translation is so so bad.
I'm feeling like i'm reading the watchmen for the first time, that's cool.
For exemple on the first page "that's quite a drop" was translated by "mechante gerbe" meaning "nasty puke".
Page 16 they got rid of all the words/drawing similarities, like "splash" or "drop"...
I noticed a few blinded face around the pages.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it would be extremely difficult (impossible?) to translate Watchmen into another language with full accuracy on all the puns and double-meanings and other tricks that are part of it!
I'm currently working with Don Giovanni Records for them to release "Revelations in the Wink of An Eye" book (my Watchmen analysis), having a meeting with their book designer on Friday! I hope it works out. It's taking me way too long to get this out! Like, 21 years now since I first wrote the original version of it!!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I'm also terrified that somebody else will do an analysis book release that has some of my same ideas, it's a bit of a miracle that nobody has already published a book like mine. I was recently in a comic book store and I saw there's a brand new giant hardcover thing put out by DC Comics called "Watchmen Annotated" and I was too scared and sick to my stomach to look at it, for fear that it would make my own book irrelevant, after I've worked so hard and so long on my book! But it's my own fault, why didn't I just get my book published a long time ago... it's so stupid that it's taking me so long... !
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, i've seen this edition too, i'm curious about it, but i'll probably never buy it.
While reading your book i had a revelation about triangles and circles while i looked at my clock on the wall : "Damn! the needles are making a triangle, and it's all circled, and when it's midnight the triangle disappear (also happening 24 times a day too i guess), i was so excited about posting it here, competing your observations whe i reached the end of the chapter where you talk about it....

I've noticed a similaritie with the movie the fly. The guy in the movie had a fly inside his machine when he turned it on then he bacome a sort of fly.
John had it turned on with a watch with him so he become aware of the nature of time.
Maybe in the future, scientist turning on their weird machine you find cool stuff to merge with.

I got to think about what i'd bring in the machine...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point about the watch and the fly! I never thought about that but now it seems obvious!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reading watchmen, again, and also reading your thesis on the side.

About that right eye covered as denial, i think the blood splash on the badge represent the arrow of a clock, 5 minutes before that doomday hour, and that would be why it's the right eye covered. I guess the tv show (i didn't watch it) taking place after the comic book should have the blood splash after midnight, maybe on the left eye.
The 5 minutes before apocalypse fits the denial, Today the doomsday clock is 100 seconds to midnight and nobody cares about it.
The symbol on Dr Manhattan forehead as its clock on midnight as he's aware that the apocalypse will happen.

One thing that i haven't noticed the last time i read it was the cases where Dr Manhattan and Ozymandias breaking the fourth wall. Dr Manhattan when he's sitting on the rock on mars at the end of a chapter and Ozymandias when he's about to press the apocalypse button. Two very important instants in the story.
Feels like they're aware that we're reading the book, that we're the watchmen in a way.

If i find other things, i'll post it here.