message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

what are your favorite 2016 LP (so far)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say in public that those CDR albums (especially "More Street Less TV" and "Airplanes") are my favourite albums by them?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO those albums exist in an official form? Vinyl and/or CD re-release?
And there's the very early one, the first one that I heard in 2002 or something, I don't know if it's the first one or if there's even earlier stuff, I remember it being really good but I haven't heard it in ages (it was just a hand-burned CDR in a paper sleeve), it had that really rockin' song "Jimmy Reed" on it...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the Wave Pix page on Bandcamp and it doesn't seem to go back very far, the earliest stuff there is like 2005 I think, so there's some missing material.
It's always extra-enticing when there's "lost" or "rare" material!

Which reminds me, I finally found the first two Turner Cody cassettes, which he never released digitally, both are very short, maybe 5 songs each, and some of the songs were re-recorded for his excellent first CD, but those original tapes "Can Tabs" and "Saddle Up" have long been my favorite recordings by him... I think both tapes are from 1999. His voice sounds very young and innocent, which is a totally different style of singing than what he turned into later, and I like it better... also of course it's just solo acoustic. Diane Cluck had transferred these two Turner Cody tapes to CDR, and she gave me a copy of this CDR, back around 2002 or something, and I couldn't find it for a very long time... I still have the tapes but didn't have a way to play them. Now I finally found that CDR that includes both tapes! So I imported it into my computer for safe-keeping.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, looking at the Wave Pictures Bandcamp page, it does include the Dave Tattersall solo acoustic instrumental album "Little Martha", which is actually maybe the album that I listen to the most out of all the Wave Pictures albums, it basically goes with anything, anytime... If you haven't heard it, I recommend checking it out!
https://thewavepictures.bandcamp.com/album/little-martha
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
DO those albums exist in an official form? Vinyl and/or CD re-release?
And there's the very early one, the first one that I heard in 2002 or something, I don't know if it's the first one or if there's even earlier stuff, I remember it being really good but I haven't heard it in ages (it was just a hand-burned CDR in a paper sleeve), it had that really rockin' song "Jimmy Reed" on it...

Noe of these lp are available on a proper support, the first one that is a real cd is Sophie, great lp btw.

The one with Jimmy reed is more street and less tv, it's one of their best song, love the lyrics...i only miss two cdr to have their complete discography, more street and less tv and just watch your friends don't get you. So so hard to find, i also miss the bruce springsteen cover cdr too, really nice record. I keep looking around and maybe someday 'ill find these missing pieces...
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bamboo Diner In the Rain would def. be one of my albums of last year. The title track is one of my favourite recordings they've done. There are some great rare tracks by the Wave Pictures such as "Sugar Maple Charcoal", "All this King Business" and "In Your Own Sweet Time" if you can track them down.

The most interesting album I heard last year was The Ascension of Slow Dakota by Slow Dakota in which the songs are interspersed with readings of seemingly biblical texts. Closest comparison would be Seven Swans era Sufjan Stevens https://slowdakota.bandcamp.com/ Well worth checking out.

I also loved The Hustle by Lambchop (which was an unexpected change of direction) even if I found the album FLOTUS uneven.