$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Elections / political songs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Elections / political songs Reply with quote

Today I stumbled upon the new song "Million Dollar Loan" by Death Cab for Cutie, which was strangely political. Especially because the song still had the (typical DCFC?) floating/surreal sound in it, but it was also sounding very dark and of course was about a very real topic. In their facebook post with the song, they wrote about the songwriting process and their thoughts on Trump. I read in it how they hope it'll be a part of stopping Trump from becoming POTUS. Apparently there's a whole 30 days 30 songs [against Trump] thing going on even!

Then I saw the new song "Let's Slash Grandma's Tires (On Election Day)" and I started to notice a theme. Even small things like Kimya Dawson changing the lyrics to her old song Loose Lips to "Fuck Trump and fuck this war" during a live show, immediately getting agreeing response from the audience.

Here in the Netherlands, I could only wish that cool Dutch artists would take a political stance and put it in their art too. I guess politics seep into art less strongly here because it's not so black and white. We have maaaaany parties (15 currently in parliament, even more you can cast a vote on during elections), meaning it's not as much a win/lose situation, but a representative group of parties running the country for the next years.

Still it makes me wonder what you think of it. I am in awe, looking at the elections from a (small) distance (we will notice the impact here even though we can't vote for your country!), and very interested by how it affects the music that is put out lately, and how that music might even help influence the outcome of the elections!

Is it a moral obligation to express your political stance as an artist? Or is it out of fear and worry for the results of the "wrong" choice?

Lastly: would you like to share elections-related songs (serious or less serious like the slashing grandma's tires song) you liked? I'd love to hear more![/url]
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi honey
I really like political bands and songs, they have always appealed to me because they're usually a bit different - it seems a lot of topics have been well covered by music in general, but political situations change a lot and a good band will define an era for years to come, and help people who didn't live through it to understand in the future or to look at their past in a different way. Plus, lots of emotions go with political feelings - it's not unrelated that often the worst times in society create the best art.

I don't think you should be obligated to create art about anything - lots of people really don't care/understand much about politics, find it boring or just find other things stir up feelings for them instead. I do see it as a bit of a seal of quality when someone can say things that are personal and political and kind of marry the two to create a universal song. I would do it if I was an artist but most people are not like me so each to their own. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, maybe in the future you'd look back and cringe at what you supported or championed but let that be a learning curve for the future and not air brush it from history, to remember where we have come from.

The American election is suitably distracting the British too. Given the uncertainty of the future of Britain politically, it will likely have some impact on this country with the results, but who knows how much impact it will have. At the moment it is mostly treated like a comedy over here, although it may still turn to tragedy. The Dutch parliament sounds a lot better than ours - inclusive rather than exclusive - but then most of the world do most things better than we do.

Sending love xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the first presidential debate a couple weeks ago I felt moved to write a song for this election, but I didn't want to write an anti-Trump song, I wanted to write a pro-Hillary song! I feel like most political songs are "anti" songs, like "Trump sucks" or "Bush sucks" etc etc... it's sort of more rare to find a song that is in support of something. I would happily write a lot of anti-Trump stuff actually! But I figure there's probably other people writing that sort of thing... So now I've got this Hillary Clinton illustrated song! I'm trying to figure out the best way to post it online, maybe Rough Trade will post it, or I'll just post it myself. My friends the filmmakers Paul and Jessica Lovelace filmed me performing it, it's only about 1:45 long, it's very short like my pro-Obama piece. So there's now footage of it... maybe it'll be up on Youtube sometime this week.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting angle Jeff, can't wait to hear it.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully that will make an appearance, especially before the actual election. I need to be educated by your words as I am fairly clueless. Exciting. x
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, you could try to contact the 30days30songs organisation... Even if not part of the 30 songs (that they probably already arranged all the artists for), they might want to feature your song!

Also I like that, the positive angle. I feel like the American campaigns are always so extreme and go very personal... It's barely about policy!
christian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to listen to a lot of NOFX, they had a lot of political songs against Bush during the 2000's and contributed to "Rock against Bush" compilations. I haven't followed them in a long time but I wouldn't be surprised if they had new ones against Trump now

German punk legends Die Ärzte have manyand Die Toten Hosen have a few as well.

One of the most well-known ones of recent ones is probably Lily Allen's "Fuck You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCxyns1lrg