message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

What comic are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they even make that paper anymore? I think it's a pretty obsolete thing, everybody just does that stuff on a computer now... I remember a Dan Clowes thing about how he could no longer buy the zipatone pattern-stickers that he used to use for making dot patterns or other forms of old-fashioned shading effects in comics.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not reading a comic but I am reading the memoir of Carrie Brownstein from Sleater Kinney in book form called Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl, and it's amazing, my recommendation for you all. x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'm definitely addicted to music books! I'm currently reading "Transformer, the complete Lou Reed story" -
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really good, I'm flying through it. My library has such a good collection of music books, I read about one a month from there. Sometimes I pick the book of a band I can't name any of their songs and let them surprise me. Going in with an open mind and no prejudgements on the music they are talking about often gets you excited for things you never knew existed.
I have looked at Transformer many times in there, I hope it's good for you.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav wrote:
I edited yourmessage so the picture shows, the proper way to do it is [img] url then [/img]

Thanks man I'm a bit of a div when it comes to I.T...appreciated, Dav!.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
Do they even make that paper anymore? I think it's a pretty obsolete thing, everybody just does that stuff on a computer now... I remember a Dan Clowes thing about how he could no longer buy the zipatone pattern-stickers that he used to use for making dot patterns or other forms of old-fashioned shading effects in comics.

I've seen old batches on E-Bay but not sure if they still make it, would LOVE to use it, though! Zipatone was the God of tone sheets, I use the Japanese Deleter stuff which is okay but doesn't look to have the thickness of the old Zip-a-Tone going by what I've seen. I just love the meticulousness of the process and the results, it's cool shit and you feel kinda good about yourself when you say: "nah, no computers, I use PROPER tone sheets!", "lol". You ever used any of that stuff, Jeff?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mont Blanc have just brought out augmented paper that you write on and it turns it into text on a screen. Maybe that could be useful for some comic artists? I don't think it does much with drawing though.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "augmented paper" sounds crazy!
I've never used the old zip tone sticker paper... I experimented with using some zip dot pattern stuff in my comics in Fuff # 8, can be seen on the last page (the inside back cover) but I did it with photoshop, just to see how it would look.
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, vollsticks, I'm not keen on those Buzz Sawyer panels. (I'd seen some of that strip before but not recently). Will stick with poring over my Wash Tubbs book.

I always wanted some zip-a-tone as I could never figure out how to do it on a computer, (I am finally, at long last, learning how to use computer art programs, so my luddite days will be over). The nearest I ever go was printing patterns out on a computer on normal paper, and physically cutting them and sticking them on the page. Being totally opaque there was no way of getting it to look professional, so I went for the a deliberately homespun-looking collage effect. Here's an example:
(image deleted because it was too wide)

BTW I've mentioned in the Patience thread some of the books I've been reading from the art college library.

Last edited by Ian Cockburn on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had quite a few Alan Moore comics as birthday presents :
Lxg nemo, three volumes, lxg black dossier, top ten complete, 650 pages, pretty cool, also found me a copy of small killings, been looking for it for quite a while now and finally the providence volume 2, i've finished the volume one (that is a hard cover of the first fours issues) and i liked it so much, i've read quite a lot HP lovecraft when i was younger and i really love what AM did with this comic book, it's really thrilling and i can't wait to read volume 2.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Reading Adrian Tomine's sleepwalk, i really like it, the art is really great and the short stories are great. Got to dig more by him.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just finished Tom Strong, i really like it, nice science concepts, funny story, great Alan Moore, again...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't read a lot of that Alan Moore "ABC" stuff, and I haven't read any of his HP Lovecraft stuff, somehow I was totally unaware when it was coming out. I do love "A Small Killing", I got the book when it first came out in the 90s and it's always been a sort of "lost" special graphic novel that never got any attention at the time and went out of print and nobody ever talks about it, even though it's one of the best ones ever I think. I've read a little bit of the early issues of Tom Strong and Top Ten and Promethia, and I liked them, especially Top Ten, but I fell behind and never read the rest of each series. I guess someday I'll have to get the book collections and catch up on all this stuff. When?!?!? I have too much comic book reading to catch up on!!! Many big comics/books sitting around my house that I haven't read yet... So I shouldn't buy more!
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently read
The Eternaut- Oesterheld & Lopez
SuperMutant Magic Academy - Jillian Takami
Like A Velvet Glove... -Clowes
Tomboy - Liz Prince

reading:
The Voyeurs - Gabrielle Bell (I need to get her other books)

Want to read:
The Greatest of Marlys (on my shelf to read next) & The Freddie Stories - Lynda Barry
The new George Herriman biography
The Hospital Suite- John Porcellino
Sir Alfred- Tim Hensley
more Gabrielle Bell

I got the Alan Moore novel but it's gonna take some time to read.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good reading list!

Velvet Glove by Clowes is an all-time classic...
I've enjoyed the Liz Prince stuff I've read but I don't know if I've read that one...

I've read a bunch of Gabrielle Bell's stuff, Voyeurs and Truth is Fragmentary and others, but there's still books of hers that I'd like to get/read.

The Hospital Suite by Porcellino is very good, but a pretty quick read (like all his stuff!).

I don't know the other stuff in your list!