$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeff Lewis artwork sale/ general chit chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Jeff Lewis artwork sale/ general chit chat Reply with quote

Who got an email offering them the chance to buy JL art? I don't know if anyone here brought any? I hope it flies off the wall.
What's going on for anyone here as well, it's been quiet, who wants to share? I went to a funeral last week, which was sad even though I didn't know the deceased well. It upset me that everyone else was upset. And it made me wonder who in the world would come to mine when the time comes, I fear it would mostly be an empty room.
And I read a book about convicting murderers in cases when there is no body found. It was given to me in a huge pile of books so a bit of a random choice but quite interesting, and reminds us all why language changes...some of the words used for certain groups in society have changed drastically in the 20 or so years since it was published. Don't airbrush history and change them to current pc terms, just let them speak for themselves in the time they were written. I also went shopping, which I hate overall, but still managed to spend a lot of money.
xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I'm a bit embarrassed about that art-for-sale email, I was scared it would be seen by people I know!
The LPR gallery asked me to send out this "pricelist" info a while ago, and I never got around to it... It's the art gallery in NYC where I had my album-release gig and art-opening, back in late October. Now the art show is actually in its final couple of days, all the art comes down on Thursday, so I suddenly realized I was down to the wire in terms of finally having to send out this LPR "price list" to all of my email lists! I guess part of the reason I procrastinated for so long about sending it to my fan lists is because the art is so expensive, it's very not-punk! I'm really not part of the art gallery world, I've never done this sort of thing before. When a gallery represents an artist, the gallery gets 50% of the income, the same as how Rough Trade Records shares my album sales income 50/50 with me. But my comic pages and other illustrations take so long to draw, it just doesn't make sense to me to sell them for cheap... I'd rather just hold on to them myself. So when I look at a piece of my art, one of my comic pages or something, or all the original illustrations that went into creating the album artwork for A Turn in the Dream Songs, or other art projects like that, and when I try to tell myself an amount of money that I would be happy to get in exchange for such a time-consuming piece of work, the only money-amount that makes sense to me is something like $1,000, or $2,000, or $3,000. But then, in order for me to personally actually get $1,000, it means the gallery has to sell the piece for $2,000, because I only get 50% of the income.
So in some ways, I have set the prices so high just because I don't really want to sell this stuff! I'm really not used to selling pieces of one-of-a-kind art! It seems strange to me! But if the price was high enough, then I guess I'd have to say, okay, I can part with it for such a high price. I'd be crazy not to sell it, if somebody would really be willing to pay that much for it. But if nobody's willing to pay that much for it, I'm happy to just keep it all to myself at home! I think some artists really WANT to sell their art, so they can make it cheaper to buy! Also, some artists don't have to work so long on each piece!
Anyway, now that I'm finally trying to fulfill my responsibilities to the art gallery, and send out these emails, it's taking me a long time... because with Gmail I can only send out 500 emails within 24 hours, then I have to wait another 24 hours to send out the next 500 emails. I have a few different gmail accounts, but still it takes many days, I have 11 different UK email lists, 11 different American email lists, and 5 different Europe email lists! SO that means it takes about 5 days, using 5 different gmail accounts, to send all those messages out!
I know it's a stupid system, i should figure out a better way to do things.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Sorry to hear about the funeral. Glad you got to engage in some "retail therapy".
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. I have a collection of old notebooks going back to around 1993 that are filled with nothing essentially, writing about what I'm doing and what I feel about things, secrets I have had, terrible teenage poetry, rantings etc. They can't be compared to your art as I am no one and also these are about as far from creative genius as is possible to get. But I did them, and they take me back to times long past. I only usually go anywhere near them when I move house and have to transport them, they live in a big plastic tub, but somehow I wouldn't want to part with them unless it was a lot of money. So I imagine your stuff is even more precious and actually could go at that value and is on some quality paper with lots of resources gone into it, so I can understand why you'd feel that letting them go needs to be worth it.
It sounds like a very dedicated job, dealing with all that emailing. You could get someone in full time just to send emails! I'm sure you can get some paid account that mass sends things but that would be another bill to pay. I have enough trouble checking one email account, let alone 5. You are a better person than I.
Funerals are inevitable. Luckily I am at the age that people still have children and get married, I know in about 30 years it will be only funerals, so try and recognise the balance. All I really brought were some lovely animal friendly cosmetics that smell divine, but in all honesty they are still sat in my en suite in an unopened box- it was more about having it than actually using it. I don't really spend much money, I do like kind cosmetics and have a large stationary hoard but really I find it hard to think of things to spend money on a lot of the time. Plus I hate shopping. I like spending it on other people mostly. And spoiling my pets. I don't find retail very therapeutic.
christian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the funeral misshelenc. I think I have had a similar reaction at some funerals though, when I saw other people cry and it made me really sad too.

As for the art, it looks that I might have to save up for a while before I can afford "an original Jeffrey Lewis"! Smile

In my own life there have been some big changes recently. I have been hired for a job in Managua, Nicaragua. It was all very short notice. I was able to fly to the US to spend a few days at my girlfriend's home in Tacoma, Washington. Tomorrow I fly to Managua. I will be there for two to four years.

I am getting way ahead of myself here, but if there is any way I can help set up a concert or housing for the next Jeffrey Lewis tour of Central America I would be more than happy. Smile

Jeffrey, have you ever toured Central or South America? I have been following your music since 2012 and don't seem to remember that you played there during that time. In general I think Antifolk is not such a huge deal there as it is in the US and Europe, even though Adam Green is playing a few shows there now.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind thoughts, it's true that seeing other people upset is always moving - you can see when feelings are real and they reach out and make you feel them too.

Congratulations on your new job! What an amazing opportunity. You are certainly brave for running with it too. I am far too risk/change averse to do anything so major. You'll have to tell us what it's like there. I have no idea so need educating. At school I learned about Nicaraguan sign language but the British education system pretty much ignores it as a place. I hope it goes amazingly. I don't know what goes on musically or if you will have a chance to get out much but you can find out what goes on. I hope you earn mega bucks and buy some JL art for your new walls.

I don't have a lot of news at the moment, I'm reading a good book and have been cleaning my house, and working and I watched a really good documentary about a boy who was killed by someone he online gamed with. There is so much going on with everyone I know and a lot of crazy stuff in my life, but none of the problems are actually mine, they just seep into me and cause worry and sadness. Just having a cuddle with my kitty before bed xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Nicaragua!
That's a big adventure!
I've never been to South America... I know some people who have done gigs there... Grey Revel from the old New York antifolk scene has played in Brazil I think... and also Lisa Li-Lund (the Herman Dune sister), she has played in South America if I remember correctly...
South America is just a big question mark for me, such a big part of planet earth, and i know nothing about it and I've never been there! Central America too!
I'm going to Mexico City in a couple weeks, not for gigs, just to go with my girlfriend. I never take a vacation, I just travel for tour stuff, I never just go to someplace to see it! So I don't even know what to do on this Mexico trip... I'll bring a sketchbook.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds nice, I hope you have a lovely time, you deserve a holiday. I never know what to do when I go on holiday either. I get a few more books read and don't watch any television, go outside more and do more walking to nowhere as opposed to walking to somewhere, but really I still spend most of my day doing the same routine I follow at home. I'm off on holiday in August, it's going to be really hot in the Spanish Islands.
keithos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a link to browse the JL artwork for sale? I don't think I got the e-maill.
I'm not really in the financial position to be buying expensive pieces of art but it's always nice to look at anyway. I'm happy with my little drawing of Babyshoes that I got in the Jeffrey Lewis box set several years ago (although I have to admit I'm quite jealous of some of the pictures that others found in their boxes - this one for example: http://www.thejeffreylewissite.com/New-Box-Art-061.jpg).
I would love to see some more of the whimsical side of Jeff's art, it's dried up a bit in the recent Fuffs.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else? How is everyone?
I'm probably in a better mood than I have been for a while so it's worth saying hello. Not really any reason for it except I'm reading a great book (Black Widow by Christopher Brookmyre) and the new Malcom Middleton album (Summer of '13) is great. I have been dancing while doing the ironing, even if that does mean while hearing words about how fed up and alone he is. The album is suitably miserable with plenty of 80s beats to keep it darkly cheerful. Happy with that. Even if it's sad my dead friend will never get to hear it, he would have liked it. It's so sad we never live long enough to read all the good books out there, see all the good films, hear all the great music. And then we die and yet more comes along.
Love to everyone x