$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Book about punk philosophy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Book about punk philosophy Reply with quote

These 3 folks from England came over and interviewed me recently for this project, I forget if I've already mentioned this... They were traveling the USA and elsewhere, talking to people involved in "punk philosophy" in various ways, not sure how much I fit in with the rest of it but I was glad to be included as a tangent at least. They are making a documentary about their experiences, but in the meantime their main project is a book "The Truth of Revolution, Brother" (a title which some folks may recognize as a quote from a Crass song). They just launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the book; whether or not you feel like contributing to the Kickstarter fund I thought the intro "trailer" footage was cool, explaining their project (and I pop in there for a half a second around 2 minutes in):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200002823/the-truth-of-revolution-brother-punk-philosophy-bo
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This did go ahead, although I've never seen it anywhere on sale.
I'm reading a book and the main character is a comic book writer and artist. I'm only a third of the way though but it's alright so far. Mostly it's a bit of a love story so far but I think it ends up as a bit of a thriller. I'm not sure if all of the characters are real or imaginary, or if the artists is a bit psychotic or smokes too much or what, but it's called Crazy Love You by American writer Lisa Unger if anyone cares. I think of this place when I read it, everyone here with your wonderful drawings and creativity. I only picked it up in the library randomly,
My other recommendation at the moment is a BBC 4 series about the history of the independent record - there's been 2 episodes so far, called Music for Misfits. Lots of information and little interviews with wonderful people. I'm sure it would be on youtube or iplayer for anyone who has missed it.
Other than that I can't think of anything else. I listened to the radio for ages today as I cleaned my kitchen and the only things I liked were things I already knew about. There was a good debate about 'should artists give their music to adverts to sell things?' which informed me a lot and left me unable to decide where I stand on it...and another really sad one about chicken, and how they had a competition to bring the life of a chicken to as small a number of days as possible, on the least food, with the highest protein content, and paid a $10,000 prize. It's down to 54 days now before these beautiful birds, most of which never see light or spread their wings, become cheap meat for the masses. It's made me feel sad all afternoon and evening.
I'm also currently quite obsessed with autopsies and what illnesses look like on the body compared to the symptoms you feel. I know it's a bit morbid and weird, but I guess I am.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat Music for Misfits thing sounds good, maybe I'll get to check that out someday. The chicken stuff is definitely depressing, geez...
Never heard of Lisa Unger! I don't read much fiction, I guess. I'm reading the Greil Marcus book "In the Fascist Bathroom" which is just a collection of his essays about music in the 80s.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last episode is recording on my Sky box as we speak, lots of bits of footage of the Rough Trade shop back in the day and all the bands and how they changed things in their individual ways. I'd recommend it as a series to anyone, I learnt loads and felt like I already knew a little bit.
I am still sad about the chickens but there's so many things to be sad about every day that it's a bit easier. Sometimes you have to try not to think about all the terrible things that are going on to all people and animals the world over or you just get too sad to function.
I love music in the 80s, I will try and find that book. I think I worked out what was going on in the Unger book in the end, It wasn't great but not bad either, about a 6-7 out of 10. Now I'm reading Alice and the Fly which I like. I read far too much fiction, since university I have been making the most of not having to read loads of fact type books. Novels let me escape my head a bit better too.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the final part of the misfits documentary tonight, it made me feel sad for the state of music generally, for my general ignorance about it all as well.
I looked for it on youtube to post here but there are only clips of it up so far, sorry international people. x
granfalloon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misshelenc wrote:
There was a good debate about 'should artists give their music to adverts to sell things?' which informed me a lot and left me unable to decide where I stand on it...

I can't help but think of "WWPRD", that song really crystallizes the specific conundrum of musicians' place in the commercial (er, commerce-ial) machine, and actually that's been the song I 'use' to show people jeff's music for a while. it's almost like an essay song, a nice mix of jeff's quasi-punk and the edutainment low-budget-documentaries. and it passes on a potent idea in a way that you can't really ignore.

also, speaking of autopsies and documentaries, I recommend the short film/docu The Act of Seeing With One's Eyes if you haven't come across it. it's a silent straightforward look at an autopsy that becomes sort of a meditation on the difference between a human body and a cadaver, which in my experience is the kind of thing our minds don't just accept, and part of the horror of death. it's unquestionably gross and graphic, but it's by respected experimental movie guy Stan Brakhage so you gotta figure it's all in good taste/fun.
granfalloon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though it has little to do with the medical insights of an autopsy! so not quite your interest.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you totally about WWPRD, you're quite right. I think it is hard when you want to get across a message or agenda, but every method to use to do that is paved with difficulty. Soon there will be a JL song or quote for every situation you find yourself in throughout life, I'm sure.
I haven't seen that autopsy thing either, I will look into it. The last week I've been so mentally and physically busy I haven't indulged any of my autopsy needs but I will catch up with it. I'm actually quite good with death generally, I know a lot of people find it all hard to think about and face up to but I don't think that's the case for me really, I am not sure what I'm so interested in it for. I just wish I was better at science, I'd have loved to be a medical doctor. However I was rubbish at school and cried at one of my science teachers that I was scared I'd definitely fail my exams. She helped me and I did pass but have no confidence even to this day. Never mind. Thank you again x