$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Eightball still the best...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Eightball still the best... Reply with quote

I got out all my old Eightball comics so my girlfriend could read them... I have all the issues. They are a bit beat-up from being read so many times! Just looking at them makes me crazy, I think it's probably the best comic of all time... he got better with each issue... every panel is so great.
These have been out of print since the 90s, but I heard that they are re-issuing the entire series in a box set, with all the original issues reprinted, so people can read them all in the original form. If this project really exists, I have to recommend it. There's only about 20 issues total, depending on whether you count the final issues as part of the original series or not.
Get them all! Read them all! Worship and cry and laugh at every single panel of every issue, like I do!!
andylips

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited to get the boxset! Right now its set to come out in July i think..also, have you heard about his new book coming out on Fantagraphics next year? Should be awesome
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not actually The Complete Eightball....it's issues 1 to 18, missing out the David Boring stuff, Ice Haven and Death Ray. Maybe it was 'cause they've already been released as "proper books" ?! Dunno. It's a bit of a misnomer, though. I have most of the original comics, missing about 3 issues, I think, but I still bought the boxset! I agree with what Jeffrey said, it's an amazing comic. Each panel is perfect, Clowes is a consummate virtuoso/craftsman...gaw, to own an original page of his would be a dream of mine...the new book looks wicked too!
andylips

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished reading the complete eightball boxset, and it was such a great read! it refreshed my excitement in comics. it was so much fun to read. i highly recommend it.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collection of Eightball issues is one of my most prized possessions! but actually I can't even find my original issues of the David Boring issues, I must have lent them to somebody...
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Jeff Lewis--I picked this up online and it's a great tip--if you don't mind looking a bit of a twat--, next time you lend anything to a friend INSIST that you take a photo of them with the items in question! Then you have incontrovertible proof! I myself (as I'm sure you do) have some rare/expensive/OOP comics, GN's, books and records, some stuff I'd never DREAM of lending out, like my complete collection of Jim Woodring "Jim" comics (both volumes) or, indeed, my "Eightball"s...or Kramers Ergot, Crickets, my Arcades, my full run of Weirdo's etc etc....I'm just bragging about my collection, now, sorry! Smile