$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeff covering a Beach Boys song

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Jeff covering a Beach Boys song Reply with quote

I found an obscure Jeffrey Lewis track on a magazine cover CD. I searched this site, and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned before, so I thought I'd bring it to the attention to the forum readers

Its a cover of the Beach Boys song "I'm Waiting for the Day" from Pet Sounds, and appeared on the June 2012 issue of Mojo magazine CD.

It features Jeff on lead vocals and guitar, with James Toth (Wooden Wand) delivering a semi-audible spoken word piece (about the Pet Sounds album) in the background, with Janet Simpson (Delicate Cutters) providing some vocal accompaniment.

Here's what the inlay says:

Jeffrey Lewis, with Wooden Wand and Janet Simpson of Delicate Cutters. Recorded 3/18/2012 in Austin, TX while sitting round all day waiting for car repairs (thus unfortunately missing our show in Oklahoma City)

Does anyone know of any other Jeffrey Lewis appearance on magazine CDs? I'm aware of his Octopus' Garden cover (also for Mojo) and there's the CD that came with an early Fuff issue, but that's all I know.

Jeff - how do these magazine CD tracks come about? Do Rough Trade pay Mojo for you to appear on the CD (for marketing purposes), or does the magazine approach you to record something? Did you have any choice in the track to cover?

Last edited by dazman on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I'll just get an email from Rough Trade, saying that Mojo or Uncut or whoever want to know if I can record a song for them to use on an upcoming cover-mount CD, and as you can see it's usually some kind of tribute song situation. i don't think ROugh Trade pays for this to happen, and I don't think any of the artists get paid, but I DO think that I'm probably not their first choice! I imagine they have a list of artists to contact for contributing recordings... they're like "St. Vincent said she's too busy to do it... Devendra Banhart never wrote back to us... Sufjan Stevens' manager said maybe another time... who else can we contact if we get desperate? I bet Jeffrey Lewis probably has nothing better to do, it'd be better if we could get somebody more famous, but we only have two days left, see if Jeff can do it!"
And then usually they say "we only have this song or this song still available to do, which one do you want? Everything else is taken..."
I think it's kind of fun, especially because I have to figure out some way to sing and record these things very simple.
granfalloon

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered about that process. Like, I can see, how many times have the Pixies been courted to contribute a cover, but when they were approached, they were approached second; there were only 11 songs to choose from for the album tribute rather than the full 12, prompting Black Francis to bitch out the label rep, "you NEVER approach us second, we're the FUCKING PIXES".

(no offense to the pixies!)
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granfalloon wrote:
I've always wondered about that process. Like, I can see, how many times have the Pixies been courted to contribute a cover, but when they were approached, they were approached second; there were only 11 songs to choose from for the album tribute rather than the full 12, prompting Black Francis to bitch out the label rep, "you NEVER approach us second, we're the FUCKING PIXES".

(no offense to the pixies!)

aha you got to love the blackman! Pixies made a great Beach Boys cover by the way, hang on to your ego, was a Pixies cover but ended up on a Black solo LP.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of time to kill on a retail based street today and found this CD in a charity/ second hand shop. I picked it up, haven't played it yet. Even if Jeff and the people involved didn't get paid, I did do a little charity donation by buying it, if that means anything.
I imagine they consider it payment enough that your music potentially reaches lots of people so it's like an advertising payment. I expect that's how they'd argue it anyway.
xxxx
banjoanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://soundcloud.com/c-dric-rassat/jeffrey-lewis-feat-wooden-wand

Pet Sounds is my favorite album so hearing Jeff & Janet sing a song on it is amazing, they did a great job