$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

optic nerve #14

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andylips

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: optic nerve #14 Reply with quote

Has anyone else read it yet? It just came out this month. A real solid issue. I'm also looking forward to his Killing and Dying book, out October.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool, didn't know there was a new Optic Nerve! That's exciting! I'll get it tomorrow! (it's about 1am in NYC now)
And I didn't know about that other Tomine book you mention...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new Optic Nerve, I guess this issue IS the "Killing and Dying" story, unless perhaps the "Killing and Dying" project coming out later in the year is a collection of stories, including the story from this ish #14?
I do always enjoy Tomine's writing and drawing, but this issue felt a little lacking in something... It was good, but not great. I did love the autobio back-page tho.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Hhhmmmm.... Reply with quote

I finally got a copy a coupla weeks ago....and to be honest I didn't like it much. Killing and Dying was interesting enough from a cartooning standpoint, with the tight, claustrophobic gridding adding to the oppressive nature of the story....and also the art itself, with Tomine just using pencils instead of inking, I think it worked best for the backgrounds and he picked a nice palette that went with it...dunno if it's a quest to find thinner and thinner lines?, he seems to have abandoned the brush, a bit? The story about the guy breaking into his old house LOOKED like it had been inked with a brush, or at least there was some drybrush in the comic but it was chunkier than the line he usually produces with a brush, nothing like the light touch of his New Yorker covers at all. Coming to think of it most of his last comics, including his marriage comic, look like he's been using a thin crowquill or something like that. The one page autobio strip at the end of #14 looked inked in this way, too. For my money that was the most satisfying thing in the issue. The other two stories just didn't really click as whole pieces for me, with Killing and Dying I appreciated the drawing and visual storytelling but thought the dialogue and plot (such as it was) was pretty weak. And the "guy breaking back into his old house" comic was well written, had a good pace and rhythm, though I wasn't too keen on the art.
I thought the previous two issues were wicked, though. A Brief History of the Medium Known As Hortisculpture and Go! Owls were up there with the best things Tomine has done, I reckon.