$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

The Burning Hell, anybody?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: The Burning Hell, anybody? Reply with quote

Anybody know the band The Burning Hell? They are sort of in the antifolk circuit, they are from Canada but they tour a lot in Europe and UK a bit, and they spend a lot of time in Germany, and sometimes in New York, they are friends with Stanley & Clemence, and friends with Phoebe Kreutz, and they organize the Lawnya Vawnya indie music festival in Newfoundland, Canada. They have this recent album "People" that I think is absolutely fantastic! I just got it on vinyl, and it's a great green vinyl, nice album art with silver metallic ink.
Anyway, it's on Bandcamp, and you should check it out, even just one song, if you're into songwriting/lyrical bands like Silver Jews, Mountain Goats, Magnetic Fields, stuff like that.
https://theburninghell.bandcamp.com/album/people
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, i streamed the lp on bandcamp and enjoyed it very much, got to listen some more to hear the lyrics some more.
One of the latest band i discovered was Purling Hiss, the lp called "weird on" it's really nice and has a early 90 s lo-fi scene vibe.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know them but today I was at a loss as to what to put on musically as I scrubbed one of my bathrooms, so decided to try them out. I liked them, especially Wallflowers, that was a good song. So thank you for this.
I also played the Human League, the God Machine and Mint Royale.
xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Purling Hiss on Bandcamp but they don't seem to have the album you mentioned... Dav, do you know any of these albums:
https://purlinghiss.bandcamp.com/music
?
If you know these, let me know which is a good one to start with!
silverwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation Jeff, sounds like a great album. Been digging your facebook activity recently btw, with you putting up your lp collection and highlighting your favourites. You've been inspiring me out of my musical block, been stuck for things to listen to recently.
Would love to hear your "albums of the year", or your thoughts on this year in music.

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of worthless for any "album of the year" recommendations, because I'm not very knowledgible about new music! In fact, apparently I don't even know how to spell knowlidgable. Arrgh!
But I do keep searching around to find interesting albums, and sometimes I find some stuff that really knocks me out. I think somewhere on this message board are some posts I made this year about some favorite album discoveries that I made, mostly 60s/70s obscure stuff, psychedelic or weird home-made albums or garage rock. The only sort of more modern band that I've recently started discovering is the Country Teasers, one of the guys from Fat White Family whom I was on tour with in October told me I should check out the COuntry Teasers, and when I was in San Diego I found a used Country Teasers CD in a record shop so I bought it... I definitely like it, good stuff. I think it's from the 90s? Maybe they're from Scotland or something like that? It's sort of twisted, fucked-up garage-country, with offensive lyrics but smart and weird. A bit like a cross between The Frogs and the Fall, maybe. It got me interested enough that I would buy another album of theirs if I stumble across a cheap one again. Anybody know their stuff?
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any of the early Purling Hiss lp, the guy at my local record store that suggested them to me told that all is good, i got to listen to the early stuff on bandcamp also.
linomat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know The Burning Hell yet - I got "People" from Bandcamp after reading about it here and really love it - thanks for recommending! My current favourite is Amateur Rappers...
I'm gonna try some of the other recommended bands later as I don't know any of them; thanks to you all - great to find new music this way.
Recently I saw Rachel Glassberg opening for the first Schwervon! Berlin show and got to like her music a lot; I found her lovely album on Bandcamp: http://glassberg.band camp.com/album/and-other-disasters-home-recordings
linomat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Burning Hell had a gig in Berlin last Friday and it was sooo great - at the end almost all people were dancing, although it was boiling hot at the venue (and people in Berlin usually don't move that much at concerts anyway)... I had so much fun to see/hear them - don't miss it if you have the chance to see them play.