$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Great show last night in NYC...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Great show last night in NYC... Reply with quote

What a night at Sidewalk here in NYC! A great bill...
It was Little Cobweb first (this is Angela, sister of Toby Goodshank, formerly of the Babyskins and also formerly Herman Dune backing singer),
then Susie Asado, in town from Berlin, played a great duo set, really great new arrangements that I hadn't heard before.
L.A. Boobs played next, they've been my favorite band on the antifolk scene for a while now, it's Toby Goodshank and Deenah Vollmer as a guitar/electronic/vocal duo, but they've been adding some extra musicians lately sometimes too.
Phoebe Kreutz played, a duo set with her husband Matt, she very rarely plays in the past couple years, so great to see her, I love her songs.
Then it was Candy Boys, the ridiculous/funny new band of Brent Cole (former drummer for Dufus and Moldy Peaches)... they had toured the USA opening for Pizza Underground last year but this was my first time seeing them.
I played the final set, with a brand new bass player Mem, she did very well since she only played with us for the first time that day! Then Peter Stampfel and Spencer Chakedis got on stage with me and did a final few songs, even though my voice was totally shot from rehearsing all day and it was about 1am at that time so I was quite tired and worn out! I could hardly croak out the songs by the end of the night.
A long night of music!
Also there was a great show a couple days ago, it was Kimya Dawson, Hamell on Trial, Toby Goodshank, Roger Manning and Paul Baribeau! It was my first time seeing Paul Baribeau live, he was great. Hamell was incredible as always. Kimya hadn't played a solo show in NYC in a long time, I think... unless I missed some...
JacobsBest

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been turned on to Jeff, Kimya and Hammel for some time now but have had little exposure to similar artists/genres. Thanks to your post, I now have some more to seek out!