message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Cartoonists shot dead in France
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's available in the uk although there is concern about the people stocking it and their safety. I hear that due to international demand they are now doing 5 million copies, usually it's 60 thousand. X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I wonder how much of a percentage increase that is, that's crazy! I heard they WILL be doing versions in other languages, even including Arabic, now THAT's the version I'd like to get my hands on as a collector's item!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that but it makes sense. Can you criticise something you haven't read? Really?
I won't be buying one personally, I've been trying to work out what is the right thing for me to do and I've had to work out my feelings and opinions, in between having a grim week with lots of other stress. But I've decided not to join in with it, apparently they're all sold out anyway.
This has been a difficult week for humanity generally I think. My personal life is certainly matching it, and am not feeling any of the hope or unity here at all. x
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be print 2 millions more, for a total of 7 millions copies, that's a ironic backfire for djihadists. I had a hard time getting a copy, as most people here, i happen to get two copies, let me know if you got one in the US Jeff or if you want me to send you one.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Moore reaction to the events, intelligent as always.

Alan Moore has challenged the world's great religions to “clean up their act” in the wake of the murder of cartoonists on the Charlie Hebdo magazine in France.

The Northampton writer and comic book creator has delivered a stark challenge for religion to put its house in order.

He said: “It is probably time for something to be done with regard to monotheistic religion cleaning up its act. It is not about Islam, Jews or Christians. If you come from the position that there is only one God and He's yours then only one thing can happen when you meet someone who thinks differently. It is not rocket science although as we have seen in Afghanistan, rocket science will probably enter into it.

“I am not saying people should not be free to join whichever religion they choose but should we be forced to live our lives around a belief system that originated somewhere around the fourth or fifth century BC. I cannot see any more reason to base a belief system around Christianity, Judaism or Islam than I can around Lord of the Rings.”

Alan follows a personal magic based religion he developed while researching his books. It is embedded with the same wry wit found in his work and features a sock puppet Roman snake god called Glycon.

Alan issued a direct challenge to the moderates of all faiths not to tolerate sermons of hate.

He said: “The majority of followers in Christianity, Judaism and Islam are moderates but it is time for those people to step up. The problems that your radicals are causing are creating quite a mess in your own backyard. It does not reflect well on the Abrahamic religions.

“Couldn't organisations with this much fear and intimidation associated with them be classed as mafiosi and be dismantled by the authorities? If you don't do this yourselves then you will live your lives forever tainted with these terrible crimes against humanity.”

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Charlie-Hebdo-Alan-Moore-calls-major-religions/story-25848414-detail/story.html
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a good documentary on this tonight Charlie Hebdo: 3 days that shook the world. Channel 4 British one. It was the first time I'd really had access to a lot of the information and helped me understand a lot more about the events of the time and police decisions etc. Worth a watch if you see it anywhere. x