Recorded new album today (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dankent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the same! Brill.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone puts out an album every 2 months give or take, is all the music generally of an acceptable quality, or does the shit-filter have to be lowered and things that would have been discarded end up recorded and out there? x
jack fe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lower shit-filter seems like it would make sense. But on the flipside, you're working at songwriting so much, you get very good at it, just like any other craft (and it really is a craft, rather than pure magic - there's just a touch of magic). Andre/Stanley especially, has an incredible hit rate (I'd say, anyway), for such a huge output. There are always new gems to discover. Just this month, this comes out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5X3QJZ1y9A

As good a song as you could ever hope for!
I would argue that the more productive (1+ album a year), or at least people who HAVE BEEN on that kind of schedule of productivity, will inherently become better writers than the one every four years crowd.

My favourite under the Stanley Brinks moniker is probably Stanley Brinks Yodels from 2010.

http://stanleybrinks.bandcamp.com/album/yodels

Really worth a listen for anyone who enjoys songs! (I can't narrow it down much past that)
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jack fe for clarifying that!
I guess what we are saying is, in SB's case, stuff stays pretty much consistent, and should do generally if you're productively working, you naturally get better all the time. But the potential is there for other artists to over do it and not achieve such standards. Thank you for helping me understand! xxx
jack fe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, totally! Everyone is different.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was just thinking of going in the opposite direction... releasing less.... because of this article I just read about songwriter David Dondero, I have heard some of his stuff and I really like it, but when somebody has a bunch of albums out I find it more intimidating to buy one! The more albums someone has the more scared I get of buying "the wrong one" and then I don't buy any... and when i realized I was paralyzed and ended up not buying any David Dondero albums it made me start thinking maybe I should only put out one album every five years or something! Also, an album is of course better when it is pulling from a wider pool of songs... like, my first album on Rough Trade wasn't actually my "first album", I compiled it from songs that came from my previous five cassette releases! So in that sense maybe I'd be better off if I just kept on making home-made albums and then every five albums or so I could compile 40 minutes worth of that stuff and do a more official release of it... just to not flood the world with too many albums for no real reason other than the fact that they happened to be written and recorded. But of course on the other hand the artists like the Mountain Goats or the Fall or Stanley Brinks who just reliably put out one or more albums per year are like seasonal events - for fans it's just like "oh, it's that time of year when I buy a new Mountain Goats album and see them play on this year's tour..." and for the artist it becomes just an annual creative cycle, write-record-tour, write-record-tour, like being a farmer... sow-water-reap, etc.
I think my big problem with all this is the high cost of albums in stores, I just don't feel right asking people to spend $18 on a CD very often, I feel more comfortable doing these little home made releases and selling them cheap off my website and at my shows, and only once in a while doing a "proper" album with real store distribution, a "proper" album that will take me more time and money to make and a lot more work put into the packaging and all that, just so I feel like that standard retail price in stores (which is out of my control) is more justified.
I don't know... when I look back on TONS and TONS of songs I've written and recorded which I'm really GLAD never got released, because I don't think they're very good, I'm glad I wrote them because it all was part of the process that helped me write other stuff that I was happier with. Sometimes I feel like I have to write about 20 songs until I have one that I'm really happy with... so then I don't know what I should do with the other 19. (Maybe that's a good reason to have a fake band name to release the other stuff under!)
dankent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always make the "less proffessional " recordings available but difficult to access somehow. Maybe some kind of barrier of entry like a fake band name or something would be good, so people who were really looking for it could find it, but new fans aren't put off by more raw recordings. I would love to hear some of your earlier stuff that I can't find anywhere, when I looked at your discography on your website there are so many albums and projects that I have found to just not be anywhere at all. I hope you don't release stuff less. If it takes on some other form of release as you described then that would be cool.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that sort of like what Sentridoh is? I know it's kind of a Lou Barlow side project; is Sentridoh the name that Lou Barlow uses to release all the songs he doesn't think are good enough for Sebadoh releases?
dankent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of that either, man I need to really listen to more stuff
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the new record, Jeff. "You're Invited" really speaks to me.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With big, overwhelming catalogues (of varying quality) it's great when there are a series of higher profile ("real?") 'canon' releases. With Herman Dune, for example, there were the eight or so band releases on labels, but at shows, you could see all these weird CDRs that were clearly slapped together in a different way. It makes things clear that these wont be as slick (at least) as the jewel cased / vinyl / label releases. Again, like the Sentridoh variation. Although, I don't know if quality is the way you'd judge it, or if that was Lou Barlow's thought process. And not that DIY IS BETTER or something silly (music is music!). I like the mixed bag nature of some of these side recordings, you get to hear another side of the artist, less pressured sometimes.

R. Stevie Moore is a terrifying one to dive into. But that there are these big LP releases like Clack and Phonography, you have a handle when you start to order these freewheeling, more out there collage style records. Which are wonderful in a totally different way.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the right idea I think... to have one foot in both worlds if you can... (but i still don't really get R Stevie Moore! That's another good example of too many albums!)