$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Fun show in Brooklyn tonight...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Fun show in Brooklyn tonight... Reply with quote

Went to Bushwick Brooklyn to see LA Boobs, which is Toby Goodshank's new band with Deenah Vollmer, they were really great. I saw them in Berlin last summer too. Also playing tonight was Preston Spurlock, who is always really good, and the return of American Anymen, I think it has been years since they played! I really love their old recordings, they used to be available on OliveJuice before OliveJuice shut down, maybe they are on Bandcamp now... albums like Anxiety, that was a great one... just 6 songs I think... anyway it was really cool to see them again, even though it was just 2 of them on stage, acoustic guitar and giant upright acoustic bass (played awesomely by Scott Fragala, of Ish Marquez's old band The Lonesome Crew, which used to be Ish, Scott, and Anders Griffen). I got to the show too late to see opening act The Johns, which is the band of Johnny Dydo from the Wowz. But on the train over there this guy i was sitting next to started talking to me, and I totally didn't recognize him so I asked "do I know you?" and then i was embarrassed that it was Dan Deacon, I can't believe I didn't recognize him, I guess it's been a while since i saw him! Anyway it was nice to chat to him for a bit, even though I couldn't convince him to come to the show with me.
Also Jack texted me during the show (from Portland) to tell me that Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks were doing a free show in a record store near my house tonight, but I missed it... oh well... it was a really fun antifolk show in Bushwick.