$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Reading/Leeds festivals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reading/Leeds festivals Reply with quote

Well, it's been a cold and rainy day at Leeds!
We had a mostly empty tent at Reading yesterday, I guess everybody was seeing the Deftones instead... or doing something else anyway... I can't remember playing to an emptier tent at a festival ever! But after the set I was selling merch on the ground and ended up selling a surprising amount of stuff, considering there were not many people when we played. Well, I've certainly played to less people in other situations, I think there must have still been something like 70 people or even 100 people, but in a big tent there was a lot of empty space! Then after playing Reading we drove up to Leeds the same evening, and we hit some really crazy rain storms on the way. Isabel was driving, and she handled it well, but it was scary and extreme for a while! Then it stopped, then it started and got crazy again, by the time we finally got to our hotel in Leeds it was midnight and we'd been through some really tough storm driving. Today at Leeds festival was a bit better than Reading, even though it was cold and wet and a bit muddy, as you would imagine. The rain would return every hour or two, but not at the same rate as the night before. I am very grateful that we are not camping, as we have at many festivals in the past, because it would be a pretty difficult camping situation in all that mud and rain.
Our set at Leeds today was definitely better than yesterday at Reading, we got to play longer and there were a lot more people there, but still a lot of empty space in the tent... in fact, a whole half of the tent was unoccupied because it was full of huge puddles and mud-pits...
It was nice to see some of the same stage crew from Latitude festival last month, including Ian whom I think has worked with the Cribs in the past, he was very nice to us, always good to see him. And we got to see a bit of the set of Parquet Courts, they were very good. Also watched a chunk of the documentary film on Snoop Lion (AKA the former Snoop Dogg), but it was hard to hear the audio very well so I didn't stay for all of it. Then there wasn't very much that we all felt like seeing at night, and it was cold and wet and none of us are dressed very properly for this sort of thing, so we left early.
I would have been curious to see Tomahawk, since Mike Patton is usually pretty cool and interesting and great, but they were playing Reading while we were at Leeds and vice-versa. (I would also have seen Eminem but it was the same situation!)
Well, that's the wrap-up of UK festival season for us for this year... onwards to Germany for our next shows...
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a long shot but I kept checking the televised Reading coverage in case it said there was some JL being shown. There wasn't that I could see, gutted.
Good luck in Germany and sorry my country is all mud and bad weather and rubbish crowds!
x
dazman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the weather complimented your band name pretty well...
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaborate promotional device?
AFB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I was blessed with festival weather this year. Well, I made sure for a good start in Portugal in May for Primavera sound. Had a proper Blur nostalgia fest there. Then of course End of the Road last weekend. The one bad weekend (the Reading & Leeds one) was sandwiched in between the crazy good summer and EotR which was delightful. Eels, man. Eels! They were great. Missed Black Yaya though - has anyone caught that set yet?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm dying to see Black Ya Ya! Here in Freiburg there's posters all over the club for the Ya Ya / Turner Cody show... but I guess I won't see them???

I wish I was at End of the Road this year, it sounds like an incredible line-up! And of course Primavera is an amazing festival, one of the best I was ever at.

Hello from Germany! Off to Malta on Monday.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFB wrote:
Missed Black Yaya though - has anyone caught that set yet?

I saw him and Turner play in Brighton the following night, a week ago. I really love David's writing, but it just wasn't good. I wanted to like it so much, but I couldn't get behind it. Maybe he was just finding his feet in a new project, but there was no excitement in the songwriting or presentation (and I don't mean showy, it was just nothing). I hope others have found more positive opinions (and maybe enough to help me revise mine).
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, what was different about it? Is it really a totally different style from the David Herman Dune we all know and love? Somebody told me the material is darker, but I don't know if they were just guessing...
jack fe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't actually much difference from his songwriting of the last few years, which is maybe my problem, and if people have enjoyed that, they'll find something with this.
No, it's not really darker. There's a little darkness in there, but there always was. Mostly it was songs for an upcoming soundtrack for a Bonnie & Clyde movie, which all felt a little forced (understandably, because it's commissioned work, which is totally cool to be doing, but weird not to mention it before, as the show seemed to be totally built around those songs).

The style is the same as ever (which is always a treat), but there seemed to be a lot more focus on the guitar effects pedals than the songwriting. But that was just how I felt at the time, and I really hope it changes with time.
I don't want to sound like a "someone I like is doing something I don't care for" rant, because I love to be challenged by new and exciting things. That was the problem.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all makes me even more curious! I really want to hear it!!
michaeljamess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the weather complimented your band name pretty well...

jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I think I have to change band names from The Rain to something else! It was crazy, the whole 2013, using Jeffrey Lewis & The Rain as the band name all year, it really seemed like we were cursed with rain every where we went. All over UK, Europe, America, we had so many drives in the rain... I think I'll pick a new name for 2014!
New bass player too - her name is Caitlin, we'll be in Europe with her in January/February!