$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

New Chris Ware book/box... "Building Stories"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: New Chris Ware book/box... "Building Stories" Reply with quote

I got the new Chris Ware thing as a gift! It's totally crazy of course... a giant box filled with comic book stories in various formats... I guess there's no particular order to read them in...
Had anybody read this yet??
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I'm glad you got something you wanted and that will provide hours of happiness.
I got something I really wanted too. You're a star. xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help, I don't know how to tackle this book/box! It's an overwhelming flurry of comics in large and small formats... can be read in any order...
As usual with Chris Ware's super-elaborate comic projects it's a bit too elaborate to quite want to read, it's an incredibly impressive amount of work but it's kind of off-putting! Anyway I'm not done reading the Jon Lewis "True Swamp" comic collection, which is awesome, and also not done reading Patti Smith's "Just Kids" book, AND not done reading Woody Guthrie's "Bound For Glory" book, AND not done reading Ben Katchor's "Cardboard Valise" comic book, AND not even started reading Dave McKean's "Cages" giant graphic novel which has been sitting in my house since last xmas! Arrgh!
silverwood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.

Last edited by silverwood on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
silverwood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me about 2 weeks to finish reading this. i used one half of the box as a "to read" pile and the other half as the"finished" pile.
It is a slog to get through but a very ambitious piece of work and there are some fantastic and heart felt moments in there!
However i do feel that my enjoyment of it is reduced slightly by the fact that there is no clear cut beginning or end to the whole collection. To me it feels like theres not enough of a narrative to drive through to want to read all of the "chapters" and keep me enthusiastic. so i guess at times it felt like a bit of a chore.

I enjoyed all the parts that were centered around the apartment complex, i find the "if these walls could speak" angle intriguing. I often think about who may of lived, or what may have happened in the places i live often. i like the idea of the history of a building and the people who live there.
However the parts of the collection which are set around the main characters suburban life as a middle age mum, got away from the ideas that i was interested in and found engrossing.

Maybe Ive missed the point of the whole project, but is it bad for me to say that i felt the whole thing could have done with cutting down and refining slightly?

The bits i enjoyed i did really enjoy though, and i always love the resonance of chris wares depressive realism. and of course i think the art work is exceptional. i do love his style.

Did you finish it jeff?
What did you think?

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't even started it yet!!
I just finished the recent Snake Pit collection, 2010-2012, Snake Pit is one of my favorite comic books, and unlike Chris Ware's work Snake Pit is a simple delightful easy joy to read! And easy to carry around! Even this big recent book is a nice small paperback that fits in my coat pocket and is easily read on the train, in bed, where ever.
I got so many comics and graphic novels and zines around my house that I need to read, especially after the MoCCA festival, I finally got a copy of Asterious Polyp (and got it signed by Dave Mazzuchelli) but when oh when will I finally get around to reading it?! Still haven't finished "Cages"... but at least I've made a good start in it.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me, too many books, not enough hours in the day... xxxx
michaeljamess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I'm glad you got something you wanted and that will provide hours of happiness.