message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

RIP Lou Reed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading the Morrissey Autobiography and I found this in it today, it made me think of this thread:

"Lou Reed is unimpressed by applause, and lives a life detached from custom. His stare is cold and his romanticism is brutal. His songs are half sung melodies of menace. He might drop dead any second, and is therefore the real thing. Examined ravenously like a museum exhibit, Lou Reed is evidently spiked to excess, and strangely loveable. This feared raggle-clatter of pop species is changing everything"

Not entirely anything to do with anything, but it's more articulate than my pointless thoughts above. In context, he is discussing how he got into music as a teenager and how he felt after going to see him live in the early 70s.
xxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, interesting! Did Morrissey write that at the time, in the 70s? Like, was that his "diary entry" thoughts from seeing a concert as a teenager? Or are those his current thoughts? I didn't know there was a Morrissey autobiography.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only came out about 2 weeks ago, pretentiously already a 'Penguin Classic', haha. I have been enjoying it so far, for someone that's always been an enigma, I feel I kind of know him a tiny a bit.
I believe that he wrote the actual words with the rest of the text, in the past couple of years, but by the context of the page it feels like they are his thoughts from the time...it doesn't say whether he had a diary or some kind of record or if it was from memory, I'm assuming he did use some such archives in the writing of a book spanning over 50 years, so yeah, the short answer is I don't know, sorry! xxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Lou Reed memorial event at Lincoln Center, up on 63rd St in Manhattan yesterday... I was going to go, but then I didn't make it... Turner Cody and Thelma (Hamlet) told me about it after though. Just some Lou Reed songs played over a loudspeaker, with Laurie Anderson and Hal Wilner and other such folks hanging out... still, sounded like nice thing.
I had to wake up at 8:30 that morning to move my car after going to sleep too late, so I took a quick nap in the afternoon... I could still have made it up there in time to the memorial, but then the person who was going to come with me backed out and I just felt too cold and tired to bother... also Turner Cody, whom I was also going to meet there, texted me from the event and told me I probably shouldn't bother coming, he didn't think it was that exciting, which also dissuaded me! Still, I would have loved to have been a part of it, it would have been nice to see Thelma and Turner, and it was after all an historical event, like the gathering in Central Park after John Lennon died. I'm sad I missed it, if it hadn't been for the street cleaning car regulations that morning I would have slept in, woke up refreshed at 10am or 11am and went to the event! Sorry I wussed out.
But I'm playing a Lou tribute show at Jalopy on Nov 21, then playing another Lou tribute show at Bowery Electric on Nov 24 (same day as the WFMU gig, so maybe I'll practice my Lou covers at the WFMU gig before going over to Bowery Electric).
I've been sleeping in later and later and going to bed later and later as winter progresses! That's no good, I miss all the daylight! I keep going to bed at 3am and waking up at 1pm, stuff like that. Except for when I have to wake up early and move my car.
hamlet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't get to see Jeffrey there, but it was probably better for him to have his rest and give us his own special Lou Reed memorials I'd love to see and film them--really, there wasn't much happening at Lincoln Center, people taking pictures of people taking pictures, sometimes someone would dance or balance a rose on his finger tip--can't beat the music, though-- here's my 13 minute film. Philip Glass shows up to join Laurie Anderson. Imho, that's a more likely couple than Laurie and Lou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziey7qtbDk4