$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

My day today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: My day today... Reply with quote

Well, after staying up too late reading comic books (stuff I bought at the Brooklyn Comic Art fest on Saturday: A new Josh Bayer comic, and a new Dina Kelberman comic), I had to wake up early to drive out to Brooklyn for the first proper rehearsal with new bassist Caitlin and drummer Heather. Hadn't seen drummer Heather in a few weeks, since the Mercury Lounge show with Quasi, so it was nice to reunite. Although it's sort of crazy to be starting from scratch with a new bassist again I'm excited about the new possibilities, and I've been kicking around a bunch of new songs. It's always so hard to feel like new songs are "ready", I think I need to have about 20 new songs before I feel like 2 of them are actually worth keeping.
After the rehearsal I came home and tried to put together the art files for a new reprinting of my first two "Sonnet Youth" zines (Confusion is Sex, and Goo), because I'm basically sold out of the earlier printings... and also print the first real printing of my new Sonnet Youth zine, Daydream Nation! But when i got to the photocopy shop I realized there was still a TINY bit more work that needs to be done before these files are fully ready for a big printing. Well, when I say "big printing" I don't mean a HUGE printing, I'm thinking maybe 200 copies of each. See how long that takes to sell out of.
Then it was time to clean up my apartment a bit before people started arriving for my Wednesday night art nights... people always come over on Wednesday to draw and hang out, some weeks it's a lot of people, some weeks almost nobody. This time it was a pretty nice gathering, about 8 people, always a random collection of folks. I was worried that this week would be too crowded because I invited so many people that I just met at the Comic Art fest, but none of them ended up coming! Even though I try to have the art nights end at a decent hour, like midnight, it usually ends up going later... so now it's 2am and I'm finally gettin' ready to go to sleep. But I have to wake up at 8:30am to move my car or it'll get a ticket.
Also, my internet is broken... the wifi on my laptop isn't working, I can only connect to the internet if i plug in an ethernet cable... so maybe I'll have to take my computer in to be repaired tomorrow, or some day soon. And tomorrow there's that Lou Reed tribute thing happening in Manhattan, I'm not sure what it is exactly, I think there's just going to be a gathering of people in the street in Lincoln Center, with Lou Reed recordings being blasted out in pubic on a big PA system... that's the impression I get of it. Maybe it'll be too cold to stand outside and listen to recordings that I could listen to at home! It could be interesting, though... I wonder if there will be a lot of people.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a programme on BBC4 called 'What Do Artists Do All Day?' which I feel these diary posts could make a valuable contribution to.
It certainly sounds more interesting than anything I ever do. Maybe I'd come over if I was closer and then get kicked out again for being rubbish at drawing.
I hope you do manage to catch up on some sleep at some point, and I'm sorry you don't have a driveway so you can't sleep in peace.
Have you tried turning the computer off and on again? haha.
It sounds like it is most likely a social event, that Lou Reed tribute, I'm assuming that many of the people that end up going already have access to the music being played, or at least you tube or something, but maybe people with a shared interest being together could mean meeting new friends or starting new relationships, and a feeling of being part of something. I used to go to festivals when I was a kitten (about 14) and it was the first time I felt like there were others like me out there...even though they weren't, at least the majority, it was a very powerful experience for the perpetually lonely. I'm sure something like that would be a similar experience for some. So yeah, if you've got enough friends and it's cold then play them at your leisure in the warm!
I'm watching Professor Brian Cox explaining time travel (it's part of the bbc milking the 50 years of Doctor Who this month for all it's worth) and I am most confused and overwhelmed. And my guinea pig is falling asleep on my arm, aww.
xxx