$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Not much goin' on today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Not much goin' on today... Reply with quote

I woke up super late, like 2pm... and had a horrible headache immediately because when I miss my morning cup of coffee I start getting horrible headaches by the afternoon! But it wasn't my fault, I just slept way too late because I didn't set an alarm! Once the headaches start, even a cup of coffee doesn't quite cure it... so even with coffee and aspirin it ended up as a head-achey day.
I went to the local health clinic to try to get information on Obamacare, to find out if I could sign up for some good coverage since I have a hernia that needs an operation... I've had it ever since the Ireland tour last July, and no time to get it fixed... plus I have no insurance anyway! So I was hoping I could sign up for Obamacare and get insurance for once in my life, then make an appointment to get the little surgery I need. The woman at the clinic was helpful but she didn't totally know all the information, it's all so new to everybody, she's just learning the new healthcare process too. But we made some first steps to getting me signed up, now I'm waiting for an email from the government that will give me info on my next step.
Then I voted for mayor, because today's Election Day in NYC.
Then I just sat around at home, reading Joe Sacco's comic collection "Journalism" and working on some songs. Mostly just re-writing and trying to fix up some songs I've been kicking around for a little while. Came up with a better guitar part for one song, and a better keyboard part. But while I'm working I have this poster of Lou Reed looking at me and he usually looks at me like I should try harder.

Then I noticed that I had missed a phone call from Anders, old drummer Anders, and I listened to the voice mail and he said that he was walking around my neighborhood and wondered if I was home! Damn, too bad I missed it, it would have been nice to see him. But it was too late. Now it's about midnight and I'm heating up a can of soup for a late dinner. Since I woke up so late today I'll probably have trouble getting to sleep at a decent hour!

I guess I'll put on a record and eat my soup.
hamlet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Feel Better Reply with quote

"The thousand ills that the flesh is heir to!" Yes, caffeine is an addictive drug, totally legal, and a big industry in the US. They call it "slow speed" and real junkies drink it dark and concentrated. I used to bring bottles of the freeze dried stuff to a friend in the psych ward and he would eat it out of the bottle to counteract the downers they were giving him. I remember the rebound headaches it caused me, and still would cause me if I go near it. They have to do with first expanding your cerebral blood vessels, then when the drug wears off, they shrink. If I eat more than a little dark chocolate, I get them too. Some people have a sensitivity to caffeine. After years of being a caffeine addict, I kicked and settle for Teeccino, a coffee substitute found in the health food store that tastes like coffee but doesn't have that stimulant kick. Tuli had the problem too and settled for Postum to avoid the headaches. You can buy that in the regular grocery store.
Tuli had a hernia too, when he was much younger-- I forget the story now, but I remember his talking about some restraining brace he had to wear.
Hope Obama care comes through for you.
I am still looking for your Lou Reed post as Ken Freedman plays "I'mWaiting for My Man" with barking dogs added.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barking dogs added? That sounds like a mash-up with Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing"! (a song I've covered in concert a few times... and of course the Jane's Addiction song "Jane Says" is an obvious reference to Lou Reed's series of "Stephanie Says", "Lisa Says", "Candy Says" songs.)
hamlet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Dogstep Reply with quote

Actually, Ken Freedman's show featured Dogstep, this website that adds barking dogs to any song you send them. Listeners participated naming their bands such as the "The Velvet Underdog:"

http://static.echonest.com/dogstep/
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny.
On Saturday at the Comics Art Brooklyn festival I'll be playing a short set, and sharing my set time with my friends Pizza Underground... they play all Lou Reed/Velvet Underground related songs, but with re-written lyrics all about pizza.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about the headache, they are far more painful than are given credit for. That is late to get up though, I bet you needed the sleep and hopefully have written off some sleep debt, you'll feel better tomorrow.
I am liking the idea of new songs, all my favourite people haven't recorded or toured since the beginning of the year or something, it's been forever since I brought something brand new out.
Good luck getting your hernia fixed. The NHS don't operate on them unless they're massive or in the way or something as the are basically harmless on the whole so your healthcare might be better than ours! Time will tell I guess.
Does this post somehow hint at the fact you have a cell phone then, since last time I knew you still didn't have one...the lyrics told me! I hope he is around again soon.
xxxxxx
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No coffee equals headacches for me too, cafeine helps migraines.
AFB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink a fair amount of caffeine - I have about 3 coffees and 4 or 5 teas a day - but on weekends I barely make it to one or two. I also don't have my first one until about an hour after I wake up. I've never felt I was addicted so I gave it up for two weeks once. No headaches, no changes in energy - absolutely nothing. It was really strange... so I just went back to drinking hot drinks because I like the taste and they're warming.

Near where I work we have this big market and a bunch of small independent shops (I make it sound like a secret place or a hip part of the city - it's literally just the centre of Bristol) and there's this triangle of coffee shops I like to alternate between on my lunch breaks. One just done standard, excellent flat whites, but another brings in some really interesting beans. I had one the other day which tasted (and smelled) like a brilliant hybrid between coffee and tomato soup. So good.
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, drinking coffee or tea actually gives me headaches. I guess seeing how much coffee my parents always drink must have subconsciously scared me off! I´m really trying very hard not to get used to eating/drinking anything addictive...

Also it's weird from my perspective to hear about 'getting healthcare'; here I just got it because, you know, it's been obligated for forever. It's weird because you get used to the monthly fee and then I don't ever really worry about any future health problems. Hopefully Obamacare can make that possible for you too.