$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeffrey Lewis and the Rain- WWPRD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Jeffrey Lewis and the Rain- WWPRD Reply with quote

Just pre-ordered this and and very excited. What is the story with The Rain?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just played on this BBC4 show called Loose Ends, though I feel like my interview was a bit lame, I was too tired to think clearly! Everybody else they interviewed on the show was so charming and witty, I felt like a downer. Anyway, we played a pretty good rendition of the current version of WWPRD, and the 3-song single comes out on Tuesday.
"The Rain" is basically the same rhythm section that I started working with on the recent Peter Stampfel record, Isabel Martin on bass and Heather Wagner on drums.
It's been years since I had bandmates who actually live in the same city as me, so it's really great to be able to just write and record and rehearse and play local shows like a normal band! I forgot what that was like! It was so many years that Jack was living in Oregon and Dave was living in England, it just made it so hard to ever work on stuff together if we weren't on tour. But I'm sure I'll play with Jack and Dave again when we can. For the time being I'm pretty excited about working on stuff with Isabel and Heather, maybe we can do a full album if we have time this fall/winter.
The 3-song single was recorded one day last month, we recorded about 5 or 6 songs that day and I thought these 3 came out the best. I haven't had a chance to listen to the vinyl, I just got a copy this weekend from Rough Trade but I don't think I'll have a chance to hear it until I get back home to my turntable in mid-September! Unless we stay at somebody's house with a turntable.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came early and I just gave it a spin and I loved it. It sounds great and these girls are great with you. I'd love to hear a record of all stuff like this.

WWPRD sounds like the angriest song you've ever written and it is so good. I love it.
AFB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach me to slack off from the message board, only just realised they new songs were out. Tell you what though, I love Jack and Dave's very individual style and these new songs are in a reliably similar vein, but there's something very new and delicious about their execution - very solid playing and a new energy. Would be very exciting to see a full release with this backing.