$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

"Have Moicy part 2"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: "Have Moicy part 2" Reply with quote

I'm in Portland, Oregon, working with Peter Stampfel and Robin Remaily and Baby Gramps and a bunch of other people, about 10 in total, meant to be recording "Have Moicy part 2," the sequel to the classic 1975 collaboration album. We were hoping that Michael Hurley, one of the main guys of the original 1975 album, would get involved in the songwriting and recording, but he may or may not join us. Also involved are the Dustbusters, an NYC old-timey folk band. Dave Reisch the old Holy Modal Rounders bass player is also here with us.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, I am sure the results will be quite spectacular. And even if not, it must be a good laugh, and chance to talk about music and related topics. Enjoy yourself! Better than rainy old Wales with the vacuum cleaner anyway. xxxxx
kris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really exciting. Hope MH decides to get on board.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This crazy recording session in Oregon is going... interestingly... I think.... hard to know, lots of stuff has been recorded and NONE of it has been listened to yet.
No involvement from Michael Hurley, unfortunately. He played a nice set here last night, in the room where we've been recording all week, but didn't want to get involved in the writing/recording that's been going on.
SO here's is who IS here, and a bit more about what we've been doing...

Peter Stampfel (Holy Modal Rounders)
Dave Reisch (Holy Modal Rounders)
Robin Remaily (Holy Modal Rounders)
Eli, Walker, & Craig (The Dustbusters)
Kristin Andreasson (Uncle Earl/Sometimes Why)
Jeffrey Lewis
Tim the Washboard Guy
Baby Gramps
Zoe Stampfel

About 24 songs have been recorded this week, but like I say we haven't listened back to any of it, so who knows if any of it is any good. I wrote or co-wrote about 5 new songs as part of this, I think a couple of them are pretty good. Peter wants to make this a triple album, personally I'd prefer to see one good album of the best 10 or 12 recordings.

LIST OF SONGS RECORDED SO FAR for "Have Moicy 2" project
1) Eli's Cowboy song/Devil (Eli)
2) Rich Man, Poor Man (Eli)
3) Nashville (Gramps)
4) You Must Unload (Peter's version)
5) Black Bottom Strut
6) New Fiddler's Dram (Peter)
7) Roadkill (Peter)
Cool It's No Good (Jeffrey & Peter)
9) Wake Up Jacob
10) Indian War Whoop
11) What I Can't Say (Craig's)
12) Otto Wood (Craig's)
13) Intelligent Design (Jeffrey & Peter)
14) Fields on Fire (Peter's version)
15) Walker's Ghost song (Walker)
16) Crossbones Skully (Gramps)
17) Keep Searching (Peter's version)
1Cool Let's Work Together (Peter's version)
19) Sometimes Something Calls to Me (Peter & Jeffrey)
20) Rich Man's World (Peter)
21) Nonsense (Jeffrey & Peter)
22) Butt's On Fire (Kristin/Jeffrey/Peter/Craig)
23) Robin's song: All my Friends
24) Banjorino (Peter & co, cover of old-timey song)
25) Always a Pleasure (Craig's song)
jack fe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting more and more exciting. I remember when me and Rhiannon were talking to you and Peter in the darkened storeroom (which we still need to put in the next zine!) and Peter mentioned Have Moicy 2. I was glad it was dark so no one saw my massive, insane grin.

Any reason for Hurley's lack of involvement? Really exciting group of people anyway though.
I hope the recording continues to throw up interesting results.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurley stopped in, but apparently he doesn't like to get involved in anything stressful or chaotic, he keeps everything in his life very simple. And this recording project is anything but simple! Tons of people involved, nobody really in charge, guaranteed to be somewhat stressful. So although it was really cool to witness a wee reunion the other day between Peter Stampfel, Dave Reisch, Robin Remaily, and Michael Hurley, it never went beyond standing around chatting, and Hurley took off after he had played his show.
Also, Hurley was of the opinion that because Jeffrey Fredericks was one of the main guys involved in the original Have Moicy album, and Fredericks died decades ago, there's no way this could really be "Have Moicy part 2" as far as Hurley's concerned.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dazman!
No update on the "have moicy 2" thing, we're all awaiting the tracks from Matt the engineer, he's supposed to assemble rough mixes and send them to all of the rest of us... maybe we won't hear back from him for years! Who knows.

Wow, did Alan Moore write the article about Hurley himself? Or was it another author but just published in Dodgem Logic? i have one or two issues of the mag, but I didn't know it had been put on hiatus, if I understand your message right....

Northampton, what a place! Do you know the Retro Spankies?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting together with Peter Stampfel every Sunday for songwriting sessions, just kicking around some ideas... we've written some fun new stuff, I don't know what'll become of any of it. It's just really nice to have some fun creative time, and he's such a great writer, really sharp.

The latest word on the "Have Moicy 2" sessions is that Peter has given all of the mixed recordings to Robert Christgau (famous rock critic and Peter Stampfel fan), Christgau has offered to personally select what he thinks are the best 45 minutes worth of material to release as an album. I think this is a perfect way to do this, because it means somebody with a totally fresh ear and an informed critical perspective is going to curate the project. Also I'm just really excited and surprised that all these songs finally got mixed at all! So progress is being made, it seems.

Still, I have barely heard ANY of these recordings, maybe 3 of them, so I don't even know what any of this stuff sounds like!
dankent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if there any updates in regards to this album I'm super excited for it Smile