Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Have I talked about Oliver Stone's new TV show thing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Have I talked about Oliver Stone's new TV show thing? Reply with quote

I forget if I mentioned it, but the recent Oliver Stone documentary series is really great, "The Untold History of America" or something like that... is that the actual title?
Anyway, I've watched about 5 episodes (thanks to Thelma hooking me up with DVD copies of the episodes) so far...
I very highly recommend it! Currently it is covering events in the late 1950s/early 1960s... very interesting information and footage, stuff that more people really need to know. In fact I'd be very curious to hear from any of you people out there who are NOT from America, whether this is history that you are more aware of than us Americans are? Oliver Stone is trying to cut through the propaganda and tell things that are always left out of American movies and American history books.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard of it, i usually can't stand oliver stone's work but i'll check that out.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the two first volumes of amarican tabloïd by James Elroy, 900 pages each covering from the 50's to present days, Howard Hugues, Nixon, the Kennedy clan, FBI, CIA, secret services, vietnam, drugs, money..... really good reading and quite dark side of the american history.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard of that... sounds like it must be important reading, I'm always surprised at how much information is ignored.
Probably quite similar to the Oliver Stone thing, although I wonder what the differences might be. one thing that I find particularly powerful about the Oliver Stone series is that with footage and audio recordings you get a fuller sense of "proof" of certain events and attitudes, actually hearing the voice of some politician saying something great or something horrible, it has a strong effect that I didn't get from reading Zinn's "People's History of the United States" (although that's also excellent and totally recommended).

What Oliver Stone stuff makes you hate his work? I'm not a huge fan, but I never thought of him as somebody to actively dislike!