$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Marc Riley BBC6 sessions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Marc Riley BBC6 sessions? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I recently got an email from Marc Riley at BBC6 in Manchester, saying that there are a couple of sessions that my band played for him back around 2005-2006 that are missing from the 6Music archives, he's trying to find recordings of them to complete the archive. Does anybody have these sessions who can send them to me or to Marc Riley? I think one or both of the sessions would be from 2006; he says that he remembers one of them was around when Syd Barrett died (2006) and we played "Arnold Layne."
I do have two songs from a November 17th 2006 session with Riley, the two songs I have are "Moocher From the Future" and "Deer in the Woods" but I don't know if we played more songs in the session, usually there are 3 or 4 songs in each 6Music session so it's strange that I only have these two.

The other BBC session recordings that I DO have copies of are:

1) The Bundles (Jeff/Jack/Anders) on BBC6, from 2010
2) Peter Stampfel & Jeffrey Lewis (w/Franic & Dave) on BBC6, Jan 26, 2011 (4 songs)
3) Jeff/Jack/Nan/Dave on BBC6, 10-25-2011 (4 songs)
4) A London BBC session from 2007, with 3 Crass songs and a Professor Louie song.
5) Peel Session at Maida Vail, London, 7-31-2002 (Jeff/Jack/Anders)
6) Maida Vail BBC London session, Feb 2006 (6 songs)

I think that's everything I've personally got, not sure how many others we might have recorded. I'll ask Jack and Dave too what they remember and what they might have.
Any assistance much appreciated!!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have these sessions, i'll check it. I definitly have the one with the Floyd cover.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the setlist for one of it i found

*Interview

*Roll bus roll

*Interview

*Moving

*Interview

*Don't be upset

*Interview

*Arnold Lane (Syd Barrett cover)

*Interview
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, great, thanks! That's helpful information, which helps me piece this all together...
I think that means this session was from Saturday April 15, 2006 – my website lists that day as "Jeff & Jack play Marc Riley’s BBC radio show in Manchester." I don't know why we played the session just as me and Jack, because Dave was in England as our drummer on that same tour. Maybe in 2006 Riley's sessions were not equipped to deal with drum kits? Maybe Dave was busy that day?
I had assumed that the session with the Syd Barrett cover would have been after Syd died in July 2006, but it looks like this was a few months before Syd died so the tribute song was just a coincidence.
It's also a pretty early performance of Roll Bus Roll, maybe we had just started playing it around that time, listening to the this recording it seems I was still figuring out the lyrics, and we didn't really know what to do with the ending. I think this April 2006 BBC session was basically part of a tour within the year after City & Eastern Songs came out, it was still a year before we started recording 'Em Are I in 2007. Then I stopped recording 'Em Are I because Jack moved to Portland around that time, and I did the solo project 12 Crass Songs instead, then eventually finished 'Em Are I with the rest of the band by 2008.
No wonder I was so confused about the timing of these BBC recordings. It really seemed like Roll Bus Roll and Arnold Layne should have been part of a 2007 session, or part of different sessions, or something like that.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cover of arnold lane was prior to Syd death, i remember thinking that he actually might hear the cover when you played it.