Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Crazy Ebay listing of expensive classical LP!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Crazy Ebay listing of expensive classical LP!?! Reply with quote

I was buying an album on ebay recently and I happened to notice that there was a 1958 classical album being bid on... the bidding was up to $3,150!!! I was like, whaaaat?!?!? I had no idea there was such a crazy collector's market for rare classical albums! The album was by one Leonid Kogan, I looked him up and he was a jewish Soviet violinist who lived in the USSR but made some (apparently very rare and desirable!) classical recordings in England in the 50s. According to Wikipedia, the violin he played is now worth 4 million dollars, or something like that. I know basically nothing about classical music but I just had to find out what would happen with this auction, so I paid attention to it for a couple days... finally the bidding war is over, and after 20 bids, somebody actually bought the album for over $6,000!!!!!!!!! What's extra weird is that when i was trying to google this record to find out why it was so special, no website seemed to say why this was a special album... and not only that, but apparently it goes up for auction not infrequently, there have already been a couple ebay auctions for copies of this record in 2012 alone. So could it really even be that rare?!? If there are so many copies being auctioned off each year?? Or maybe it's the same copy that people buy and then sell again in a few months!?!? Anyway, here's the ebay bidding list for the album, it's crazy to look at this list of bids!!!! It started out selling for 0.99 cents!! And eventually ended at $6,169!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=150962940096
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a case of more money than sense in the fans of that kind of thing? I hope it played well after all that money! They must have really wanted it, I hope it is well loved and goes to someone who cares for it. It is interesting to speculate why this is the case!
Isn't Wiki owned by google these days? Should we not be boycotting it too? I get confused about it all! Either way I have switched to everyclick for the time being. xxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's everyclick??? never heard of it! enlighten us!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a search engine, I don't know if there are other versions, but the UK one, for every 10 searches you make it gives 1p to the charity of your choice, so you just use it like you would google and raise money as you search over time, much better than one that won't pay tax I'm sure...when I tried to research it, it turns out most of them were using tax avoidance schemes so I got a bit stuck. Hope that helps! I use the one at www.everyclick.co.uk xxx