$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Just played with Kimya in Brooklyn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Just played with Kimya in Brooklyn Reply with quote

I just went to see Kimya Dawson play at Europa in Brooklyn, and I thought it was a really good show... she was kind enough to bring me up on stage for a couple songs... the opening acts were great, including this band "Sir Jarlsburg" which is all medieval rap! It was just as preposterous as it sounds... silly costumes and silly raps with swords and stuff... embarrassingly ridiculous and worth checking out. Europa is such a weird club, it's like an eastern-European disco where they also sometimes have indie rock shows. At least they were able to do Kimya's show as an all-ages thing, and there was a great spread of different age groups present, from young to old and every shade in between. Kimya's new album coming out in 2013 is a collaboration with the rapper Aesop Rock, i wonder what that's going to sound like.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medieval rap? I have never heard of such a thing. Surely that must be a googlewhack!
I went to see Kimya years ago with a bunch of lesbians I knew for about 5 minutes. I think a lot of alcohol was consumed and it was a long time ago but I remember it being good, even though I have pretty much no memory of the actual gig. Good times, I was young and everyone I knew was very strange. I never slept and worked too hard. Those days are gone but still remain in my head.
I am glad she let you have a little sing with her though. I can't think of anything more horrendously daunting with no preparation, but then, it's not my job to do that every night, or any night, so I guess it comes naturally to you. I would have liked to have been there, but even if I could, I am ill and tucked up in my onesie on the sofa xxxx
Fishkins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Kimya and Aesop Rock perform together about a year ago. I was skeptical whether they would sound good combined, but I ended up liking it. Also, I think Kimya's songs can come off a little bit too sing-songy and quirky on recordings, but her live performance was really intense. It made me like her a lot more.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely curious about the Kimya Dawson/Aesop Rock collaboration album coming out next year... which also reminds me, has anybody heard the recent collaboration album from Adam Green? I have yet to see/hear it anywhere, not even sure it came out already.