FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

"Fuzzy Felt Folk" and "Seasons They Change&qu
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an outfit(s).

Tickets for H&H are now available via Bristol ticket shop for 13th April. You were lucky to see Vic Chestnutt in 2009, I hadn't really tuned into his work before his death, silly really as one of my good friends is a huge fan, too much music too little time to work through it, I was so grateful for people like John Peel and the guys on Mixing It who did a lot of initial vetting - who are people listening to now in their absence?

I really like the intimacy of the smaller venues as some of the larger options in Bristol are hopeless acoustically, physically or spiritually, there was a time when all the best gigs seemed to be taking place at the Cube, Polish Club and Seymour's - are the guys who were organising these bookings still around? Initially feels as though you have just entered a space that belongs to someone else for something else unless of course you have been before. This reminds me of a working men's club in Hull where the students used to go for Sunday lunch(the only day when students and locals were able to mix without bloodshed). During the course of the afternoon it would bizarrely metamophize from dodgy music set to bingo to strip show. Of course the students never raised their eyes from their newspapers or pints during that bit.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember really liking the Polish Club in Bristol! Haven't played there in years... didn't know if it was still existing.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comus show last night was fantastic. They played the whole of First Utterance and sounded perfect. It was so true to the sound of the album, which I'm not usually that interested in, but for an album that sounds like First Utterance...
The audience was super into it (and big) and the Incredible String Band movie beforehand was a really nice touch.

Hearing Drip Drip, Diana and Song To Comus live was really incredible. I'd never seen any pictures of the members before, their voices are so specific it was a little strange putting faces and bodies to them.
I hope they make it over to the USA eventually.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, cool!
sounds like a great night.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Fuzzy Felt Folk" and "Seasons They Chang Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
Two things that I've really been into of late...

The compilation album "Fuzzy Felt Folk" of weird lost folk recordings from the late 60s/early 70s, from various lost BBC programs and other "library music" sources... truly mind-bending and wonderful, this is folk music supposedly for children but completely strange/psychedelic and like an other-dimensional companion to Donovan's "For Little Ones" album. I want to buy copies of this CD for lots of people that I know! If you see it, definitely buy it!
!

Jeff, mine came in the mail today, and yeah, some truly magical stuff on this. Wow.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO glad you like it!
I think I've listened to that Fuzzy Felt Folk album more than most things I've gotten in the last few years, I never get tired of it, it just gets better and better!

Another compilation of early 70s British psychedelic/weird folk stuff that had a big effect on me is "Gather in the Mushrooms", I forget if I've ever mentioned that one on this board before. It has some tracks I already knew from other albums (like Comus and a few others) but there are some songs on "Gather in the Mushrooms" that are from artists I've still never heard of anywhere else and it's an incredible and creepy and beautiful album of material (if you like that sort of thing)!
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff! On the hunt for it!