Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Tuli Kupferberg Tribute/Memorial/Celebration, July 18
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Tuli Kupferberg Tribute/Memorial/Celebration, July 18 Reply with quote

I'm rehearsing about 10-12 songs for this show... I don't know if any of you are around NYC this week but here's the scoop!

Wednesday July 18, NYC - Jeffrey Lewis will perform as part of a Tuli Kupferberg Memorial/Celebration event, other performers/readers/attendees to be anounced... it will take place at Sidewalk on Avenue A & East 6th Street in Manhattan (Free entry, 1-drink minimum, donations encouraged, all proceeds to charity). Evening starts at 8:30 pm.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great night at Sidewalk last night, even though there was a crazy hail storm in NYC during the afternoon and Anders almost didn't make it to the gig because all the trains from New Jersey were shut down for hours from the storm.
This was the set I played, ten covers of Tuli Kupferberg songs, some of them pretty obscure:

The And Song
No Deposit, No Return
Life Is Strange
Hypothalamus
Not Enough Loving
Try To Be Joyful
This is a Hit Song
Bum's Song
Carpe Diem
Moscow Nights

The band was:
me (guitar/vocal)
Steve Espinola (piano/vocal)
Jolie Holland (violin/vocal)
Anders Griffen (drums/vocal)

There were a bunch of other readers and performers and poets and stuff. I'm sure Thelma will probably put some of it on Youtube soon.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to credit Steve Espinola with playing electric tennis racket on a couple songs too.
hamlet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks especially to Jeffrey making this a great event. Those Tuli songs never sounded so good-- especially the haunting "Life Is Strange" which was quoted on Tuli's tombstone. Joli Holland on violin and vocals was a great asset, as was Steve Espinola's masterful piano playing. I hardly paid attention to this song before.
Jeff's cover of "This is a Hit Song" was appropriately outrageous. The rhythmic chanting of "No Deposit , No Return" cast a new light on those advertising slogans. His explanatons of the "Bum Song" and "Hypothalamus" were worthy of a Phd.
Jeffrey played from his Iphone never heard before excerpts from a 1990s demo tape for Kramer for a CD that never happened because I think the record company failed before it could be issued.
Tuli would have been "thrilled and delighted" with the evening as he used to say.
The house was packed, the attention of the audience never flagged.
Sparrow was a witty host, did some Fugs & Tuli covers himself. I even got to read a piece I wrote though Sparrow forgot about me till I insisted on speaking.
Yes, I did film it for Revolting News , missing only a few beats when I had to change a mini dv tape.
I usually make one post a week on Tulifuli, so that's when I get to YouTube. In 4 weeks or so I should start showing it on Revolting News. I' ll let this forum know when to watch for it.
hamlet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Jeff & Band cover Tuli's No Deposit No Return Reply with quote

From the July 18 show at the Sidewalk, NYC. The band did a great job on this. They got everything but the 60's yellow vinyl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbtOXYJB9I
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, Thelma!!
By the way, I got a recording of the audio from the show which came direct from the soundboard, and it's a different mix than the audio on your footage, I wonder if there's a way to synchronize the two audio tracks and get a fuller sonic picture of everything... maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, each mix is fine in its own way, just emphasizing different elements.
hamlet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you separate "No Deposit" from the other songs & e-mail me a high quality audio file by file-sharing? I could try it after weekend. Synching it exactly would be the hard part. I would extract the original audio from the video, delete it, and substitute the soundboard recording file. You can do that in I Movie.
hamlet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Life is Strange Reply with quote

Number 8 on the rare Tuli countdown:" Life is Strange"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXstE3xcQ1Y
hamlet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff sent me an mp3 of the soundboard recording of "Life is Strange" so now we have a complete, high quality recording. I put it on vimeo where the res is even better than on YouTube. Watch in full screen for best results:

https://vimeo.com/47462406
hamlet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Hypothalamus Reply with quote

We will never forget Tuli's favorite brain gland or wonder what it's for after hearing Jeffrey & band give us a thorough presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3kmkT7No4
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Jeff and Thelma
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: This is a Hit Song Reply with quote

Whether or not this is is hit song, you have to admit this is a great cover by punk rock Jeffrey and Steve Espinola on electric tennis racket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEto-BIPlHE
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting this, thelma!
steve espinola has a funny story about trying to show chuck berry his electric tennis racket.
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: The Bum Song Reply with quote

This week's tulifuli upload is Jeff's fantastic cover of Tuli Kupferberg's " Bum Song "with additional explanation, enhanced even more by Steve Espinola's magnificent piano. I really love this perfomance. While many covers are pale imitations, this one really adds something & outdoes the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPz1qOLU-Yo
hamlet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Bum song subtitled Reply with quote

I added English subititles and posted on DailyMotion for those with English as a second language:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xta25y_jeffrey-lewis-band-bum-song-english-subtitles_music