$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jack's UK tour JUNE 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Jack's UK tour JUNE 2012 Reply with quote

Jack Lewis does a UK tour with his own band (no Jeffrey), here's the info:

Jack Lesser Lewis' Awkward Energy

UK Tour, June 2012 (All dates with The Middle Ones)

Weds 6 -Preston - Continental

Thurs 7 - Lancaster - The Yorkshire House -

Fri - 8 - Newcastle - dog and parrott

Sat - 9 - Bristol - Cafe Kino -

Sun - 10 - Leeds - Brudenell Social Club -

Mon - 11 - Nottingham - The Chameleon

Tues - 12 - Hull - Adelphi -

Weds -13 - London - Old Blue Last -

Thurs -14 - Cardiff - The FullMoon/The Moon Club -

Fri - 15 - Sheffield - The Redhouse -

Sat - 16 - Manchester - The Castle - "Carefully Planned Fest"

http://www.facebook.com/AwkwardEnergy

http://awkwardenergytour.wordpress.com/

New Jack Lewis album "Lvov Swims The Willamette" (Ample Play Records)
jack fe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope people have been making it to these. Jack, Jesse and Raphi rocked it in London last night. Set list chock full of classics, a group singalong of Summertime Called... perfect!
The Middle Ones were great as ever too. I love them more as people and as a band every time I see them. This show felt really different to most that I've seen before. Not sure why, but it was exciting.
Show followed by late night beigel snackery.
Did anyone else make it to some of the UK shows?
kap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! We saw Jack et al and the Middle Ones in Bristol, they played a great set, I was really surprised when Jack said he hadn't played in Bristol since 2006. First time I'd seen The Middle Ones, they collaborated so well and just looked to be having such a wonderful time playing together, very engaging, I imagine the tour would have been fun.
Has been a good few weeks in Bristol what with the folk festival playing host to some of the Village Thing artists (Ian Anderson, Tucker Zimmerman, Wizz Jones, Keith Christmas) . Jason Steel (Owl Service) and Nancy Wallace also performed alongside, they were amazing, does anyone know them? I'd heard of Rif Mountain's Owl Service, but for some reason never given them a listen (despite being an Alan Garner fan so I'd missed a cue there). There are a few Youtube links, Jason's version of Bonny Black Hare is my recommended, their live cover of Low's Walk You Out was really moving too. If you have a moment or the inclination take a look at Wizz Jones being interviewed by Alan Whicker about the Beatnik invasion of Newquay in 1960. Seeing is believing, the local councillor perfectly exemplifies good honest bigotry! I know Nancy is playing at the Leigh on Sea Folk festival this coming weekend - if anyone can get there it's free!
Highlight of the past week has to be David Thomas Broughton. When did he start to incorporate his very physical performance into his shows? We saw him moving between the seated audience, using beer glasses and furniture to create sound effects and using his body in an everso slightly intimidating manner and singing (shouting) back to his absent self on the stage, pretty powerful stuff, although I felt kind of confused when a lot of the audience started to react with amusement, as even though I had attributed this to self consciousness on their part, I had started to wonder if I was taking it a bit too seriously. Then I found myself wondering if he was a theatre student and if this somehow trivialised his performance as it seemed to be so from the soul. Who knows, should this matter?

Sadly just had to pass on our End of the Road tickets as we are now tied into a wedding. I accept that having had to sell our tickets for the past 3 years now that we are just not meant to be there, so we'll be missing Jeffrey Lewis and band (presuming they are playing as listed) unless of course there will be further UK dates after Alaska. Can hope so.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Thomas Broughton is great! He's been using physical performance as long as I've been seeing him. I try to every chance I get! Always different, always exciting.
I take his performances very seriously, but am usually laughing (convulsing with joy) pretty much throughout. He reminds me of silent comedy actors. I saw one show where he kept trying to put his shoe on, but kicking it away from him each time, moving all the way around the room, while his mournful singing continued without him. Beautiful, heartbreaking and hilarious. I feel like any reaction to his performance is fine, as long as it's in good faith and respectful.
kap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was his knitwear giving him all the bother this show!