$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Recent strip on the NY Times site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Recent strip on the NY Times site Reply with quote

Here's a comic I did recently -

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/a-song-of-woe-gone-viral-bonus-comic-strip/
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice!
Anxiety is such a universal problem, it was killing me until a few months ago, working on myself made me realise where my anxiety came from and i'm anxiety free now, at least i'm not eaten by it nomore even if it kicks back now and then, i feel it coming and don't let it grow.

My girlfriend (my fiancée since a couple of days!!!!) has been the greatest help, helping me finding the roots of my problems.

Also i'm seeing a therapist that help me getting better about it, all things going wrong with my life were related, and therapy is usefull to go further when you're stuck somewhere and aren't abble to go beyond a certain point.

As you suggested in your strip a song about erectil problems would be a popular tune too, people like to know they're not alone having a problem, especially a problem you usually keep for yourself and feel unconfortable talking about.

About anxiety the only way to feel better is realise that imagining what your future can be (even if you think about how great your future can be), or what your life was before is not good for anyone, plus you miss all that you could have enjoyed if you were living in the present.
jack fe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that song had traveled so far, but so happy that it has. As Dav said, its a universal issue. I was talking to a friend about controlling anxiety today (he's a buddhist, and has a few handy tips).

Also, I love the artwork. It feels so different in style to a lot of your other comics. The coloring especially seems to have changed a lot (beautifully). Or maybe it's just that not enough of your comics are in colour!

And, most importantly, congratulations to you Dav!!!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it too...and what a lovely looking bed.
Thank you for posting.

I'm so glad things are looking up for you Dav, I had been worried about you. Good for you on sorting stuff out and moving on, you are an inspiration! xxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's good advice from Dav... and it's good to hear some good news, congrats on the engagement...

I'm also interested to hear that you are so positive regarding therapy, I've thought about therapy for years but still have not made any real moves in that direction. I have many fears about it; that it will take too much time, take too much money, or become like a drug that I will be addicted to and not able to stop. But often I do wonder if it might really have a big positive effect.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it comes down to whether or not you get the 'right' therapist, that gets you and your thoughts and thinking. I guess you'd never know unless you try.
I'm not sure if music makers get health insurance but some do it on that if you have. We get it free over here but you have to wait a long time, especially for the actual psychologists etc. I think it's standard these days that everyone has some kind of counselling at some stage. My friend works as one and I'm always amazed at the reasons they go...like, I always thought you had to be borderline about to be locked up, but it turns out people go for all kinds of reasons, some almost seeming quite...well, just not any kind of severe mental illness type things that you might expect. I guess that's what you get when it's free, who knows.
On the plus side, you would find out some stuff about yourself, challenge some ideas, think in new ways and probably get some good lyrics out of it. But does it cure? Who knows, sadness is part of life after all. It depends what your problems are in the first place and if they can be solved. Plus I've seen many a therapist and am still bonkers!
I am really, really, really glad it's working out for Dav though, he deserves some happiness and to come out the other side of it with some smiles xxxxx
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the related essay, thanks for posting the link as I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I hope everyone is currently anxiety free xxx