Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

A Turn in the Dream-Songs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm being a bit bleeding-obvious/gormless, but it's a lyric from "To Go and Return". The bit of the song from which it is taken kind of explains what it means (to do with birds singing songs and other birds dreaming them etc) - with that typically twisted logic that Jeff's "fanciful-song universe" is so often drenched in.

Your suggestion sounds plausible also, given the esteem in which Jeff holds Peter. Maybe it informed the lyric?
andylips

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a question but just wanted to say I love the flow of the tracks "When You're By Yourself" to "So What If I Couldn't Take It Anymore".

The last lyrics of "When you're by yourself" are about not returning home and continuing to walk onwards, the first lines of "So what" begin with taking a walk to the store. I feel like the two songs are more like a continuation, part 1 and part 2 so to speak. Good job!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't consciously thinking about Peter Stampfel's idea about dream-songs, and I don't think any of the songs on the album literally came to me in a dream (as far as I remember). I usually think of "dream-songs" as songs that are very dream-like, piercing a different strata of consciousness than our normal awake mind, for example I think of the first side of Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding album as dream-songs perhaps, a few songs in a row like a tour through some dream-states of consciousness.
But I wasn't thinking of my own album in that way either, in fact I had some theories about the billions of birds awake and the billions of birds dreaming, and all the other animals including us, billions and billions of minds of different kinds of animals, all on this planet spinning through a daily cycle of light and darkness, awake time and dreaming time, so many billions of different kinds of dreaming animals at any moment of any day. I don't remember everything that I was thinking about, but it had various meanings connected to the album and the artwork, and I can't remember all of it right now. So it's like the title of the album came from a dream-state where it had a few more meanings, even if the songs on the album were written while I was awake, I think!