$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

My Prewar Yardsale essay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: My Prewar Yardsale essay Reply with quote

It's been years since I had a copy of this huge essay I wrote about Prewar Yardsale back in 2000, I thought maybe it was lost forever - but I just found it preserved on a website!

http://nervousnero.com/am/0012/jll-pwys1.html

It's a review of "Lowdown," possibly my favorite antifolk album ever, but it also has a lot of lyric interpretations of various Prewar Yardsale songs.

Jeff
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it and enjoyed it, thank you for shedding some light, as I'd never heard of the majority of the bands etc mentioned. I am also massively envious of your ability to show enthusiasm through words, I was really feeling the joy even though I have no idea what it was even about, not having ever heard of PWYS before. I think you are amazing at writing, not fair! If you weren't so lovely I'd have to hate you! xxx
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll read this a bit later, excited for it.
Prewar Yardsale have become one of my most cherished bands in the antifolk circle. I finally got to see them play this year (when Frozy played at Huggabroomstock).
They're a perfect rock and roll band, as I see it.

After the show, I bought Lowdown from Dina. I'd heard it in parts before from various friends. On the drive back from New York to Ohio a few days later, we (for my benifit) managed to catch a Jandek show in Cleveland, which was another wonderful and exciting show, but fairly somber in tone. We got in the car afterwards and drove in near silence for a couple of hours (not just due to the show, we were really tired). I slipped Lowdown in the CD player as we got closer to our destination. At the part where Elevated Platform Stand kicks in after about 5 minutes of repetition, we all collectively freaked out. It's a perfect, and such a bold album.