Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Happy Holidays all -
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Happy Holidays all - Reply with quote

Hope everybody's keeping warm now that winter has really begun...

I'm drinking hot apple cider and listening to my entire 11,000-song iTunes music library on "shuffle." Also reading Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1910" that Jack got me as a present, and I'm probably missing 90% of the literary references in it, damn that Alan Moore!

Yesterday my friend made me watch a couple episodes of the "Walking Dead" TV show, I'd never seen it before. As much as I love zombie movies I didn't really get the point of this show, it's just like a standard zombie movie but it never ends, just one episode after another, I just wasn't interested in the characters' soap opera stories. It seems like with 2 hours of my time I could have watched an actual good movie, instead of a random two episodes of a never-ending TV show; just because it sometimes has some zombies in it isn't enough to justify watching 50 hours of it, I think.

Anyway, happy upcoming new year!
Jeffrey
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah humbug!

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is such a tough read - the whole lot of them. I feel literally humbled in the presence of Moore's intellect. TLOEG isn't quite as esoteric as From Hell, mind...
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch the walking dead myself but apparently series 1 is good, and series 2 is less so...the first and last episodes being ok, the middle ones mostly character building. But, like I said, I haven't seen it myself, not properly. It struck me as 'boys tv' so I read a book instead.
I have had a good Christmas so far, I still have my family celebrations to go.
Am I the only one in the world never to use itunes? I am so rubbish. I even have an iphone, with not even one song on it. Clearly I need to get with the times!
xxxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still mostly vinyl myself, but I do have a whoooole lot of songs in the iTunes library on my computer now.

It was season 2 of Walking Dead that I saw a couple bits of, and was not very impressed by, maybe season 1 is better, as you say. But I'm not interested enough to pursue it.

Apparently the LAEG "Century" series is only 3 books long - book one is 1910, book two is 1969 (which is in stores but I haven't bought it yet) and the third one will be 2009 (not out yet I think - they should have titled it 2012 or something that would match the actual release date!)
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I meant "LOEG" not LAEG
Kieron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy holidays everyone!

i've not used itunes either, i can't really see the point. i do have an mp3 player, but it's only got an interview i did with a professor once...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't use itunes. I never even bother with my phone, most of the time it stays in my bag being ignored...it's kind of used for emergencies only. Maybe that'd be different if I had some friends!
Am I the only person never to have eaten a MacDonalds then? I've only even been in one once, and that was with someone else. I don't think I've ever met anyone else that hasn't.
xxxxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

Wish I could say I've never eaten McDonald's but I did love it when i was about 11. Happily I think I've not eaten any fast food from any of those types of places in something like 20 years.

Has anybody read Fast Food Nation? Good book...
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've read it. I felt sad at the slaughterhouse bits, and the same in Eating Animals. I read his other book too, Reefer Madness. I am sure he's a very cool man. I'll have to have a look if he's written any more.
I think 50 years avoiding greasy dead animals on the cheap is pretty good going! There's a McD about 5 minutes from my house, in the summer the smell of death and manky oil is so strong, even across the road, that it makes me feel ill. Yuck. I reckon 11 year olds can be forgiven, I wasn't really politically active or even interested then, on the whole. My parents wouldn't let me go in them and I was veg since I was 6 so it would have been pointless anyway mainly.
Rant over, sorry. Well done if you read all my boringness!
xxxx
kap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year!

On the MacDonalds front I know another! My husband has never eaten in, or for that matter been into a McD establishment (but then he gave up meat before his teens). I on the other hand as a child hand a huge thing for Wimpy who curiously named my favourite frankfurter offering 'double bender in a bun'. I also have a photograph of me being cuddled by a gigantic beefeater clad Mr Wimpy somewhere on the south-coast.....as for Tom he may also be the only person left on the planet who has never owned or carried a mobile phone which can be a little frustrating at times but I do kind of applaud his choice.

Now that Christmas mayhem has passed I'm getting stuck into some great new books, The Victim by Saul Bellow and Ira Levin's 'Rosemary's Baby'. Having such a liking for New York I have been given 7 or so books with New York as the backdrop. We've also been watching a DVD of Lotte Reiniger's beautiful fairy tales. I had never seen or heard of her work before now, she was the pioneer of silhouette animation, her work is exquisite. I wonder if she'll be discovered by a wider audience now that Rob Ryan's silhouette influenced art has become so ubiquitous. Freddie Philips provided the accompanying music. I really like the idea of starting a silhouette gallery of all our family and friends. Also looking forward to watching some more animation, We were given a Jan Svankmeyer disc as a gift, I think I may have seen some of his work as part of an amazing animation season on channel 4 in the mid 90's. There was a lot of great programmes on around this time, which makes me think of another rather creepy short film in which a woman keeps pulling hair from her sink, eventually pulling out a creature umbillically attached. Must see if I can find out what that was.

I haven't read Fast Food Nation only 'Don't Eat This Book'. I'm pretty sure my nephews have 'Chew on this' which is I think the same writer.
cambridgemathlesson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year from me too!

It is dark and wet and cold and I really should find something good to read or watch too... Something funny.

The other day my seven year old was humming "try it again" - really nice, especially as she doesn´t speak english and usually prefers Michael Jackson...
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, your husband sounds ace, good job you snapped him up really or I would have pounced! There's something amazingly attractive about non meat eating men...I think it's that it's usually evidence that they think, feel and won't smell of death!
I believe Chew on This is the kids version of FFN, in that, it's not so graphic and put in a more simple way for them to understand. Educate them, I say!
Rikkerikke: good 7 year old, you have obviously been wotking hard with her education of good music!
Hope everyone is happy and 2012 is being kind to you xxx
umajeff21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Jeffrey and his fans,

Guys, very happy upcoming new year 2013 in advance. My warm wishes to you guys. I know you guys are so busy in creative work. Think good and do good for humanity.

Signing off!!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Christmas everyone! Or holidays or Winterval or whatever.
(resurrecting this thread from last year)
Has anything changed? Are these members still here?
I still haven't watched the Walking Dead. Or had a McDonalds. I still have an iphone with never using iTunes.
The answer to that is most likely no. I have moved house since I wrote that stuff though.
xxxx
silverwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was traveling in America i used to go into starbucks and Mcdonalds to pilfer there free WiFi.
Went into so many of those places all up the west coast, and didn't buy a thing.
Stealing WiFi, sticking it to the man.

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.