message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

October/November UK Tour
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrNick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent four years in St. Andrews as a student, and in that time the only band that played the student union was the Sneaker Pimps. Who weren't very good. I had to do all my gig-going in the holidays. Though I did once see Idlewild in Dundee.

Anyway, I went to the Manchester gig on Tuesday, which was pretty good - particularly pleased to hear 'You don't have to be a scientist...' and also 'Time Machine'. Disappointed not to get 'Mosquito mass murderist' - with Seth doing some spoken word type songs, I wondered if anti-folk rap is the new genre.

There was too much crowd-surfing for my taste (yes, really). Complaining is probably a bit churlish - but I just want to listen to the music, not get nearly knocked over by somebody jumping about. Bloody students! [This is a joke, before anyone gets upset...]
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a review, but it is a load of words bunched together that I wrote in my notebook after the gig in Cardiff last weekend, that are all about the concert.
The SupportLoud. Different. Funny.
Set HighlightsThe Upside-Down Cross, Big A Little a, Slogans, Don't Let the Record Label Take You Out to Lunch, Brain Damage, Broken Broken Broken Heart, If You Shoot the Head you Kill the Ghoul.
Atmosphere and peopleLaughing, smiling, talking. Boys with beards. Girls with thick fringes and black rimmed glasses. Cameras.
The bandDave smiling at me made me smile. Jack is just so beautiful. Jeff gives fabulous hugs and made my life by saying hi and he liked my jumper. Nan has soft blonde hair and a pretty singing voice.
MeAwkward and ugly. Far too phobic of crowds to go to gigs these days. Looking at the floor and hiding behind my hair. Should have a friend, then I could have taken them with me. People kept touching me when they walked past, it made me anxious.
LiveHappy. Sad. Energetic. Clever. Unique. Special. Beautiful. Rampant. Funny.
Low Budget VideosThese are always good. They're on a projector npw, the first time I've seen them like this. It's better, in that the audience can see it better, even at the back, Jeff just needs to press a button so can sing more clearly, and the original artwork doesn't get ripped or wrecked. I liked the old style but this way does have more pros.
ConclusionVital. Under rated. Top night of musical joy.
AFB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous you got Upside Down Cross... I was really rooting for that one.

However, we did get Creeping Brain and Another Girl - both pretty special.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a real treat, I have to say, the set list was great for Cardiff this time, although, it always is. We got Creeping Brain too, my first time seeing this live, and I only have ever seen it on youtube I think. It was a good mix of all the albums and other various stuff so it covered all the different types of people watching. Good work. xxx