$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

SPX fest this past weekend in Maryland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: SPX fest this past weekend in Maryland Reply with quote

I had a chance to share a table at the SPX indie comic fest in Bethesda Maryland this past weekend, left NYC at 6 am on Saturday morning with a car full of people and we drove 5 hours to Bethesda... it was a great weekend!

Among other comix artists of renown, I got to encounter :

James Kochalka (he was quite friendly, gave me a hug and traded CDs with me)

Craig Thompson (they even had advance copies of his 8-years-in-the-making new Habibi graphic novel, it's massive, I was going to buy one but it was 100 bucks! They were only offering a few advance copies as a fundraiser for the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund - it'll be a lot cheaper when it actually comes out in stores next month)

Tom Hart (we had breakfast, with a couple other folks)

Jim Woodring (nobody even seemed to know or care that he was sitting there, there was no line to see him, I think perhaps his presence had not been officially announced - I got him to draw me a little picture of Frank)

Chester Brown (again, strangely, there was no line to see him! At the Toronto fest the line to meet him was quite long and I didn't do it... at SPX there were only 2 people ahead of me, so I bought a copy of "Paying For It" and had him sign it to Jack... I'll give it to Jack next time I see him)

Probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

A lot of other folks whom I'm starting to get to know just from seeing them at all these comic fests I've been tabling at, really nice to start to feel like I'm slowly becoming a small part of that community...

I bought LOTS of comics, too many really... but some great stuff and some great prices... and traded a bunch of stuff too. Bumped into a gal that I had met at the show I played in Birmingham with Peter Stampfel last January, pretty random that she was walking around the convention in Bethesda, Maryland.

Unfortunately it's looking like I won't be able to go to the MIX comic fest in Minneapolis in November (5th and 6th), just too much tour stuff happening around that time...
andylips

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you had a good time jeff, getting a table at a comic/zine fair is a lot of fun, you meet so many cool people! it really is a small community.