message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

UK dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: UK dates Reply with quote

Hello

Having been away for a while I see a couple of UK shows are on the horizon. I trust Jeff wasn't planning on sneaking into the North of England before vaporising without us southerners noticing? Are there plans to expand this trip or is encouragement needed?! Let's hope we get to see you again.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO the story is that I'm heading to Manchester for a week to work on a new album, and while I'm there I'm playing a couple of small solo acoustic shows in the area... I don't want to add more stuff since it'll take away from the recording studio time!
Full show info here -
http://www.thejeffreylewissite.com/Upcoming-Shows.html
AFB

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear about new recording sessions. Who are you working with, out of interest? Or is it top secret...
kap

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Good to know there is another recording in the making, (hoping Time Trade will be on there) but wish I could make Hebden Bridge especially, being a groupie mum would just not do however, and I can't really insist on a family break to the Dales to satisfy my musical wants. Will just have to content myself with Herman Dune and Martha Tilston for the time being, anyone else heading to the Thekla on either of these nights? I see Martha is also playing the Trades Club in June...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manchester studio is an all-analogue studio that was recommended to us by Frances of the Vaselines (when we toured the US with them last October)...
When the UK tour with Peter Stampfel wrapped up in January I went to Manchester for a few days with Drummer Dave, Franic from the Wave Pictures, and Adam and Joe from Johnny Flynn's band. We spent a few days in the studio recording songs (mostly live, mostly all together in a room); Grandmaster Gareth and Lucy Baines (both of Misty's Big Adventure) stopped in to record some stuff with us as well.
Now I'm heading back to the same studio for a few more days to record some more and hopefully put it all together into a new album.
My plan for a new album was that I wanted to make something really raw and fast, mostly first takes, like I used to do before I spent so much time on 12 Crass Songs and 'Em Are I! But then when I made the album with Peter Stampfel last December it sort of satisfied my urge to make a really fast in-the-moment album, and I feel like I want this Manchester record to sound a bit more relaxed and fine-tuned, with some properly careful mixing and stuff like that. Julie and Rob who work at the Analogue Catalogue studio are really nice and knowledgeable about their gear, the all-tape analogue sound that they get is fantastic, they are excellent engineers.
I hope this album can come out before the end of the year!
AFB

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Jeff, I love analogue studios, I used to record all my old punk stuff in a place like that in Weston-Super-Mare, further south, about 6-8 years ago - the engineer there was a genius but completely creepy. Good luck with it!